Monte Carlo update

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

jamundsen

Re: Monte Carlo update

Postby jamundsen » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:46 am

these are pictures of the location that I have to work with. I would really like to not take it outside as I dont want to advertise to certain folks that I have a boat in the hangar.
Attachments
hull 3.JPG
hull 2.JPG
hull 1.JPG
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:47 am

more pics
Attachments
hull 5.JPG
hull 4.JPG
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:58 am

John - Yes, I see what you are talking about. Those Z-channels will not support that weight concentrated like that.

But it looks like you have a good base to attach a roll-over cage to you.

I feel for you knowing you wanted this flipped yesterday.

dave
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:46 am

Short of building a wooden wheel, the quickest way is still two galvanized eyebolts at each end with cherry pickers. Since you are going to use a cutwater, the bow is really a non issue even with a hardwood dowel in the bow area. The transom is for sure another issue but then again if you also need a hull id plate, you can also deal with any added bolt fastened through the transom frame as I think you have. You can also do a loosely nutted eyebolt so that it spin when you begin your turnover through the transom frame across the top which should also be hidden by another railing after the decking is in place if a cap frame and rail is applicable to your build. Make sure you use fender washers on each side making it much easier to spin. Rub some soap on the faces of the washers for an added plus.

Another rollover position with a loosely nuted eyebolt would be the drain plug at the transom. This will be a bit more tricky past the half roller which will need stopper lines to slow the spinning. But if you allow one side to lay on padding supported by boat bumpers or an old mattress, you can do this in stages too.
While I have a chainfall in this shot at the transom, you can do this with two cherry pickers which I bet you can borrow. If nothing else, you may also buy one and use it for your motor install, giving you a nice luxuary down the road for moving it around by yourself.

This is a 20 footer even though its not completely planked up. But I have used this method for numerous small fishing hulls. With all of these setups, make sure that you use nice braided line with some additional length do that your pickup hook is away from the wooden hull when spinning.
Attachments
DSC08051.JPG
cherry picker.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:12 pm

John

I had loops in six different floor joist. Since I don't know your set-up I don't know if that helps. But I hope it might be an idea.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:40 pm

i had 4 truckers straps but the roof purlins were having none of it. I have debated putting any tie down parts on the transom but Oysters idea makes sense so I might do that.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:07 pm

John

Sounds like your on coarse. No one size fits all here.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:35 pm

Just some tidbits or food for thought... Depending on what you have on the inside foward, I would look at about a foot down from the top of the stem in the bow so that you do not get too bound up with your line when the boat begins to rollover over and become upright. This still will be enough to lift before it begans to roll even steadying it with a couple of guys.

In your case, double mattress if you can find them would probably be the best. Hopefully you have enough along the rails stiffening up the boat. Do you have any shots inside or any stiffeners across the side frames now in place? If not, that would be my next move with some cheap 2x4s.

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:52 pm

I don't know the difference in weight,but here's how we flipped Garrys Monaco:

http://picasaweb.google.com/upspirate/F ... Wo8_2QugE#

Probably need more people,and a couple of old mattresses like Oyster said

ttownshaw

Postby ttownshaw » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:05 pm

Although your boat is bigger and heavier something like this might work if you have enough help...it worked fine for me. I through bolted the two cross members temporarily in place.

Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:29 pm

Bill, you had some beef and meat for your rollover. :wink: :lol: I went back and read his estimated weight. I bet that with about six guys and your setup, its quite possible to also do it your way too with the right landing. he surely has enough room. The only thing that would bother me would be if anyone got in the wrong position since the boat will want to really go once it starts past the upright position. If he had a small skeg on it, he could stop it a bit with a stiff leg on the undersid after the boat is resting on one of the sides too. Then he could transfer more of his meat to the bottom and allow the boat to come down gently with couple of lines to the underside supports too.

OK I need some advise. I looked at Billy C's pictures of turning his hull and Dave Lotts pictures and decided I could do this. I bought some straps and attached them to the purlins in my roof. I slung them around the hull and quickly decided I was going to bring the roof down. the sky hook idea isnt going to work so I'm looking at other ideas. I figure my hull weighs about 1000 lbs right now. I have several engine hoists but I'm not sure how that would work. One idea proposed to me was to drill a hole in the bow and jack that point up and rotate around the stern but I dont really want a hole in the bow. I'm back in my hangar and have talked one of the other plane owners in letting me move his plane to a different hangar for a couple of days so I need to move quickly. Sorry but no pictures tonight. I was so frustrated I just went home.

Rich Coey

Postby Rich Coey » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:58 pm

Here are some pictures of my Monaco rollover. We used an engine lift, then a rope to the back of my pickup to bring it down low enough to move the lift to the other side to finish lowering to the ground.

Rich
Attachments
P1010007.jpg
P1010011.jpg
P1010018.jpg

Rich Coey

Postby Rich Coey » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:59 pm

And the rest of the pictures.
Attachments
P1010024.jpg
P1010028.jpg

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:33 pm

Just got home from the shop. All the pictures reallyl help. I have designed a setup similar to Rich's and that lools good . I have two cherry pickers and lots of straps I can attach to each side of the hangar and the boat. I think in two more days I'll be ready to try again. The guy who moved his plane so I could have extra room came by tonight and said to take my time so that helps also. This forum and you guys are great. I could never have done this without all the assistance. This thing is coming to G4 no matter what.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Oyster

Postby Oyster » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:43 pm

I see in one of your shots that there was a plane flying over the boat. Did it have a problem landing with the side of the hanger in the way? :wink: :lol: looking foward to the rollover..

Return to “Power Boats”