Monthly Riviera Update - February

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

DaveLott

Monthly Riviera Update - February

Post by DaveLott »

Ok, that time of the month again. ( No, I am not that type of guy!! :lol: )

I felt like I did not get much done this month due to being out of town for almost 2 weeks. I was able to work a whole 37 hours on Midnight. She feels neglected!! :(

Anyway started the month with the final installation of the motor. I had to have a prop shaft fabricated which arrived on the 6th. The engine went in the motor well and lined up within 1/4" of where I calculated it would be. On Feb 8, I flipped the switch and after one small wiring correction, Midnight roared to life.

I felt like the accessory items would never end: fuel line and return fuel line (yes, my motor requires a return gas line); water intake hose, sea strainer, control cables for throttle and transmission, exhaust hoses, tank overflow line and breather, speedometer pitot line, battery wiring and cutoff switch, steering cable, etc, etc, etc. I was really glad to get back to woodwork.

So I finished the month finishing the deck framing over the engine compartment, final fairing of the sheer and subdeck tacked in place. Tomorrow begins a new month and the goal is to complete the deck and hull with final finishes. I am still on track for launching Memorial Day which is 92 days away but yesterday, I admit, I got a little overwhelmed with all the things that need to be done for the launch. Oh well, one bite at a time and eventually I will eat the elephant.
100210 Exhaust and Plumbing.jpg
100227 Engine Deck Framing.jpg
100228 Subdeck Installed.jpg
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Bill Edmundson

Re: Monthly Riviera Update - February

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Damned Show-Off :!: Mummmmmbbblllleee :| :roll: :? :wink:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

You sure made quick work of that sub-deck. 92 days, no problem. Look how much you have done in 9 months.

You just gave me some ideas for my seat framework, looking at your pictures on your site.

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin »

Dave,

I already knew you were back working on your boat, because the other night I was out for a walk and came across a large group of animals. There were deer, elk, turkey, ducks, birds and a bear. They were all dancing and the bear was shouting "Dave's back working on his boat, Dave's back working on his boat". :lol: As always nice work.
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott »

So that is where they went!!! I thought the wind just moved them down the creek. Heck, they ran all the way to the coast!!!! I am going to have to have a talk with Gertrude. She is getting really bad about scaring the critters off!!

Oh, well, give them a mug of beer in celebration of our Canadian friends but don't tell them that I am taking Gertrude on a "vacation" the first of May.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I had nine deer dancing in the backyard the other morning. One was even on the patio.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott »

My wife said NO MORE DEER. She has about 500lbs in the freezer right now and there is not any more room. So they are safe until the men's fellowship dinner next fall where I need to feed about 200 men.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

GregSkiKing

Post by GregSkiKing »

Nice work. No wonder you couldn't get to that engine, you are too quick at building boat around it!

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott »

I have a family reunion here on Memorial Day. I don't have to time to lolly gag around. Midnight has to be ready to rumble. But I just learned that my deck lumber is still over a week away from arriving. Ordering from Boulter Plywood. Chris Boulter is being very picky about the lumber for the king planks and cover boards. Apparently, the 16/4 board that he had mill resawn for me had too much moisture content. When the board was resawn, the boards warped a little. He would have none of that and sent them back to the mill demanding clean straight grain matched boards. That is service!!! But I had hoped to be cutting cover boards this weekend. Oh, well, I have other "stuff' that can be done.

Looking at the engine pic, I just noticed something. The stripes on my exhaust hoses don't match!!!! $%%^%^. :lol: I will have to fix that tonight.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

ttownshaw

Post by ttownshaw »

Looking at the engine pic, I just noticed something. The stripes on my exhaust hoses don't match!!!! $%%^%^. I will have to fix that tonight.
ROFLOL...now that's funny! Kinda reminds me of my stay at the Meyer-May house in Grand Rapids (a Frank Lloyed Wright house). All of the standard head screws were installed so the slots were vertical...and I mean every single one of them...that way they didn't collect any dust.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott »

Watch me - I'll fix that catastrophe. We simply cannot not have mismatched striping on our exhaust hoses. The travesty!!!!!
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

billy c

Post by billy c »

DaveLott wrote:Watch me - I'll fix that catastrophe. We simply cannot not have mismatched striping on our exhaust hoses. The travesty!!!!!
...looks like the hose clamp on the port side is misaligned too :!:
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott »

Blasted all - they are off 1" as well. :evil:
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

upspirate

Post by upspirate »

ttownshaw wrote:
Looking at the engine pic, I just noticed something. The stripes on my exhaust hoses don't match!!!! $%%^%^. I will have to fix that tonight.
ROFLOL...now that's funny! Kinda reminds me of my stay at the Meyer-May house in Grand Rapids (a Frank Lloyed Wright house). All of the standard head screws were installed so the slots were vertical...and I mean every single one of them...that way they didn't collect any dust.

There used to be a boat company ,Donzi I think, that made sure all the screw heads were lined up on the rub rail....you might want to watch out for that when the time comes too!!!

AaronStJ

Post by AaronStJ »

upspirate wrote:There used to be a boat company ,Donzi I think, that made sure all the screw heads were lined up on the rub rail....you might want to watch out for that when the time comes too!!!
Lining up all of the screws seems have been somewhat common at one time. There was a big thread on it in that other boat forum. As usual, it eventually degenerated into pretentious rambling. :mrgreen:

Return to “Power Boats”