Monaco steering

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Tully Banana

Monaco steering

Post by Tully Banana » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:49 pm

Hi Folks,

The motor is in but I have yet to hook up the drive shaft/prop or steering. Uflex rotary cable steering I have along with the rudder and tiller arm from Glenwood. Does anyone have photos of their steering cable routing and hookup at the stern? I am very interested to see how others routed their cable and what hardware was used to finalize connection to the tiller. Hopefully in the water at some point this year and the decking is currently being worked on now. Photo's to follow prior to launch. Have a great summer all and thanks in advance ! :D

BruceDow

Re: Monaco steering

Post by BruceDow » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:00 pm

I don't have a picture of the full assembled set-up.

This shows the bracket, stuffing box, and tiller arm. My tiller arm and rudder areh vintage chris-craft, so the push-pull is back to front. Others may push-pull side to side.

The end of the teleflex is not yet connected.

The teleflex cable is braced off the stringer with a swiveling standoff like part "D" in the attached: http://www.teleflex.ru/upload/files/cat ... 20Kits.pdf

Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

Tully Banana

Post by Tully Banana » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:55 am

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the info. Uflex has a .pdf with very similar steering connections. Did you end up under the engine stringer with your cable routing ? The exhaust will be hooked prior to the steering to avoid any contact between the two systems. I've seen your boat pictures prior to starting on this project and really enjoyed them. Well done ! Gemma looks fantastic ! As a fellow Ontarian from Ottawa thanks again.

BruceDow

Post by BruceDow » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:19 pm

Yes. the steering cable runs under the stringers.

I had to get pretty creative to figure out the run so that it did not interfere with exhaust, cooling water, and soles (floor boards).

If you are in Ottawa, you should definitely connect with Mr. Hot Rod over in Chelsea. I could not have finished my boat without his guidance, advice, and support.
Bruce.

~~ Do what you love, and love what you do. ~~
~~ To me - only my boat is not yet perfect. Everybody else's is to be admired for I know the path they have walked (Dave Lott, 2010) ~~
Dow's Monaco Project

garrys

Post by garrys » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:27 am

I thought I had a photo, but don't. My steering cable exited the helm and was routed aft under the starboard gunwale to about midship, then routed downward to the inside sheer. Then the cable makes a gentle 90 degree bend to become parallel with the transom. The tiller arm is mounted fore and aft, alligned with the centerline when the rudder is neutral. The steering movement is side to side. I was able to attach the cable outer caseing to the top of my motor stringer.

Yes, I did have to notch my frames for the cable running aft as my side panels were mounted flush with the frames.

I hope this helps.

Garry Stout

Mr Hot Rod

Post by Mr Hot Rod » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:55 pm

Here's Ron Filsell's Tahoe 19 installation. Inspiration for us all !
    Ron Filsell, Sydney Australia

Ron Filsell, Sydney Australia
Ron's Build Photos : http://picasaweb.google.com/MisterPlyWood/RonsBoat

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.boats.chelseacoachworks.com

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:02 pm

OK after looking at pictures like that I'm going to paint my bilges and lock them so no one can look inside. That is just beautiful.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

garrys

Post by garrys » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:14 pm

That's just sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Garry Stout

Mr Hot Rod

Post by Mr Hot Rod » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:25 pm

I was going to add a warning about wearing shades before viewing Ron's photos, but retinal damage would have been irreversible by the time you read the warning ! :lol:

Tully asked for cable steering, but another option for tight quarters is hydraulic steering ...

We had many clearance issues installing a Teleflex NFB Dual Cable setup with opposing Port and Starboard cables. Exhaust hoses were right where we wanted to install the cables and the hefty cables couldn't make the tight radius. The solution was to upgrade to a SeaStar hydraulic system. To mount the cylinder within the stringers, we fabricated a slave tiller which connects to the central tiller arm via an adjustable tie bar. System is easy to install and performs flawlessly.
Click here to see more photos.

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.boats.chelseacoachworks.com

Return to “Power Boats”