My Gentry build

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

trisailor

Re: My Gentry build

Post by trisailor »

Congratulations on the launch Glen. Now the tweekings to get it "just right" will be fun. The major job is done. You've got to feel proud. Each of the three Gentries launched in the past year have personalities of their own!

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy »

Got the video on Youtube - Thanks Adrian :)
Sadly they edited out any mention of Glen-L and the build details, but I guess you take what you can get.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvhdaDs6 ... e=youtu.be
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Congratulations again Glen,

Your boat just looks fabulous on the water. I was looking at the picture of it on the trailer and it struck just how beautiful that design really is. I can see why you chose it.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Trackhappy

Post by Trackhappy »

Well, those of you following the IAGG Report will know most of the details, but here is the current state:
Gentry in the water
Gentry in the water
Gentry on trailer
Gentry on trailer

Launched Gentry at Port Macquarie last week and she went just great. A small issue cropped up in that she popped one of the rubber exhaust hoses and we had to tighten the clamp, but everything else was just fine. The throttle is very sensitive just above idle, probably can't do much about that. At idle in gear we do 5-6MPH depending on headwind, tide etc. (remember we have a satellite sensor not paddle wheel or pitot so we get speed over ground not water speed.
around 10 MPH the nose lifts and you can't see over it to navigate. Get to 20 MPH and down she comes and settles nicely into a slow plane. 23 is comfortable cruising on plane. 35 is a good ride, and 50 is where I gave up due to serious thumping on the slight chop we had. At that speed the engine was doing 4000-4500 if I recall so she has more to give and a slightly higher pitch might be better.

We got absolutely saturated when we went side on it a wake, but that's just the fun stuff I guess.

So what have I got left ?

Well

Fit stainless steel rub rail, (if only I could get it over here)
Fit stainless side rub rails on the transom
Make and fit a cutwater
Finish the dashboard - undecided on the final design for it yet.
Finish fitting the side panels in the cockpit.
Remove the wiring and fashion it into a proper loom.
Make cockpit floor boards.
Re-fit the flotation foam where the glue didn't take.
Fit some vents to get airflow inside the hull.

Probably re-make the trailer with tandem axles to allow for more weight and fit walk boards and stone guards and guide bars to help bring her in. If somebody wants to buy the trailer I will make a new one from scratch.

Just a few things to keep us going. Once all that is done, I'll probably sell her and start on another build. I have a hankering for a 44 foot Marauder or Mirage.

Tim Major

Post by Tim Major »

Hey Glen,

Just picked up on your YouTube video, great stuff !

Thanks for going all out to get Gentry to the gathering, great to get together. Thanks also to your mate Alan, what a star!

Tim
Recognise these 2 bows ? ?
Recognise these 2 bows ? ?

vettepilot

Post by vettepilot »

WELL DONE Glen!! :D :D Video and pics look great but I bet it looks better inthe flesh so to speak.. :D
The Bitterness of Poor Quality, Remains Long After The Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten...Thanks Dad R.I.P.

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Great job Glenn and thanks for the video clip! :D

Looks like a successful IAGG and a fitting reward for all the planning, logistics and plain hard work required to pull it off so well!

Surprised though that you might consider parting with that beautiful boat so soon...

Regards,

Steve

Trackhappy

Post by Trackhappy »

steveh41 wrote:Great job Glenn and thanks for the video clip! :D

Looks like a successful IAGG and a fitting reward for all the planning, logistics and plain hard work required to pull it off so well!

Surprised though that you might consider parting with that beautiful boat so soon...

Regards,

Steve
Thanks Steve. Yeah, I wan t to keep her, but I don't have a vehicle to tow it so can't use it, don't have any local waterways that really suit her, and I want to keep building so can't afford to do both. I'd be happy if somebody took her that loves her but can't build their own.

Trackhappy

Post by Trackhappy »

A shot of the gauges taken while doing approximately 40MPH. As you can see she has plenty left in her yet.
Gentry gauges at speed
Gentry gauges at speed

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Very classy gauges Glenn!

Looks like you've got plenty of top end left at 40 mph... must be a great ride with yards of polished mahogany deck out front and that big V8 just getting into its power curve :D

Steve

Trackhappy

Post by Trackhappy »

Getting close to the end now. We had a naming ceremony on the weekend, but Murphy being what Murphy is, the video taken recorded only the last few seconds so no record to show you.
Her name is officially "Brandy", which has been emblazoned on the transom in very expensive Gold Leaf. The dash is finished except for some engraved switch knobs, and the center under dash "firewall" is done. I have to finish the floorboards and side panels, fit the stainless rub rail, cutwater and finish the varnishing, oh and tidy up the wiring loom. I'll get some photos in the weekend and post up.

We added 5 hours to the engine on the weekend and figured out that she really is a river/lake boat when the wind came up and every wave we got saturated. The horns did not like water in them at all, sounding more like a f@rt than a horn... so much for marine horns. Other than that, she performed faultlessly and turned heads as she does any time she is out. She'll be looking for a new home soon as I want to start another one.

jenko

Post by jenko »

sounds great how about some pics

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Ditto

Trackhappy

Post by Trackhappy »

Geez... no pressure here :lol:
Gentry transom name
Gentry transom name
Gentry dashboard
Gentry dashboard
Gentry Instruments
Gentry Instruments

jenko

Post by jenko »

Name looks great Glen

Return to “Power Boats”