Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

Roberta

Re: My Gentry build

Post by Roberta » Thu May 22, 2014 5:07 am

NNIIIICCCEEEE!!!!!

Roberta :D :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

steveh41

Post by steveh41 » Fri May 23, 2014 8:57 am

Looks great!

Steve

sscobra

Post by sscobra » Fri May 23, 2014 9:47 am

Absolutely beautiful! Skip
Built the Glen-L Monaco, 2016.

fergal butler

Post by fergal butler » Fri May 23, 2014 10:07 am

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:44 pm

vettepilot wrote:WELL DONE Glen!! :D :D Video and pics look great but I bet it looks better inthe flesh so to speak.. :D
Hey Vette.... How's the recovery coming? Will you make AG2?
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

vettepilot

Post by vettepilot » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:16 am

Trackhappy wrote:
vettepilot wrote:WELL DONE Glen!! :D :D Video and pics look great but I bet it looks better inthe flesh so to speak.. :D
Hey Vette.... How's the recovery coming? Will you make AG2?
Hi Track....yep all recovered and back at work.....just need a big shed now and I can start :D AG2 is close to my rellies so it may just happen if I get time off work...its our 40th Anniversary in October so I will see if I can get time off for both :lol: :lol:
The Bitterness of Poor Quality, Remains Long After The Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten...Thanks Dad R.I.P.

John R

Post by John R » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:27 pm

Hello Glenn my name is John i am looking at doung the Gentry 17 and would like to get in contact with you just on your thoughts and any tricks ....cheers John

Ranny

Post by Ranny » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:40 pm

Trackhappy wrote:Well, those of you following the IAGG Report will know most of the details, but here is the current state:
Gentry in water.jpg
Gentry_Trailer_PortMcQ.jpg

Launched Gentry at Port Macquarie last week and she went just great. A small issue cropped up in that she popped one of the rubber exhaust hoses and we had to tighten the clamp, but everything else was just fine. The throttle is very sensitive just above idle, probably can't do much about that. At idle in gear we do 5-6MPH depending on headwind, tide etc. (remember we have a satellite sensor not paddle wheel or pitot so we get speed over ground not water speed.
around 10 MPH the nose lifts and you can't see over it to navigate. Get to 20 MPH and down she comes and settles nicely into a slow plane. 23 is comfortable cruising on plane. 35 is a good ride, and 50 is where I gave up due to serious thumping on the slight chop we had. At that speed the engine was doing 4000-4500 if I recall so she has more to give and a slightly higher pitch might be better.

We got absolutely saturated when we went side on it a wake, but that's just the fun stuff I guess.

So what have I got left ?

Well

Fit stainless steel rub rail, (if only I could get it over here)
Fit stainless side rub rails on the transom
Make and fit a cutwater
Finish the dashboard - undecided on the final design for it yet.
Finish fitting the side panels in the cockpit.
Remove the wiring and fashion it into a proper loom.
Make cockpit floor boards.
Re-fit the flotation foam where the glue didn't take.
Fit some vents to get airflow inside the hull.

Probably re-make the trailer with tandem axles to allow for more weight and fit walk boards and stone guards and guide bars to help bring her in. If somebody wants to buy the trailer I will make a new one from scratch.

Just a few things to keep us going. Once all that is done, I'll probably sell her and start on another build. I have a hankering for a 44 foot Marauder or Mirage.
Ranny

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Post by Trackhappy » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:10 pm

PM sent to John R.

Ranny, did you mean to ask something? If you want the current state of play:

Currently "Brandy" is languishing in the shed waiting for someone to make a cutwater as I wasn't happy with my effort. Have moved into a place 60-80 minutes drive from where she is and have no workshop or place to store her at home, so work is slow.

Won't change the trailer, might do the wiring when I get some time and enthusiasm, vents are fitted, stainless rub rail is fitted. Centre floorboard is done, probably won't do the outboard ones, fine how she is.

I don't have suitable water nearby or a vehicle to tow her, so definitely a trailer queen. She is for sale to somebody who has the money but not the build ability, but not in a hurry to sell her. Will build another boat but this time one we can actually use like one of the Tugboats or even a sail boat.

It is frustrating not being able to build another boat so am satisfying myself with building a Dalek in the available space next to the car. Hopefully when Brandy sells I can use some of the money to start another boat but have to find a shed first.

Cheers,
Glenn.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

Return to “Power Boats”