Neverending saga

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

DaveLott

Neverending saga

Post by DaveLott » Sat May 01, 2010 9:04 am

Well, the month is here, May 2010. Thirty days from now, Midnight will be launched. We are on countdown. 636 actual manhours on the boat in the last 10 months not including countless hours in planning, studying, ordering and keeping the website/blog updated on the progress. I will be real close to my budget of $20,000 spent - the trailer is costing me more than expected.

We down to essentially completing the finish on the deck and installing all the "parts". I say "we" because some of you actually are egging me on so this has become a group effort. :lol:

So back to work. This is a marathon weekend of sanding the deck. I am on the last details of the hatch which takes up 80% of the center deck so mainly the bow, aft deck and cover boards remain.

Please send the IV's. I will need continual nourishment.
Last edited by DaveLott on Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:26 am, edited 16 times in total.
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Nova SS

Re: 10 Months & 636 hours comes to 30 days countdown to launch

Post by Nova SS » Sat May 01, 2010 9:09 am

Dave, I could be wrong but I think this is one of the quickest builds, if not the quickest, I can remember being discussed on this site. Congrats on having such an amazing work ethic, and of course a wife that would allow it...lol. Looking forward to seeing "Midnight" in the water 8) :)

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Sat May 01, 2010 1:42 pm

I agree with Nova the quality of the work that you have been able to achieve and building such a boat in less than a year amazes me everytime I visit your site. Cant wait to see pictures of it out in the sunshine and in person at G4

DaveLott

Re: 10 Months + 643 hours = 29 days to launch

Post by DaveLott » Sat May 01, 2010 8:02 pm

1 down - 29 to go. My hands hurt from 7 hours of sanding today.

100501 Deck Rough Sanded.jpg
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Sat May 01, 2010 8:05 pm

Nova SS wrote:Dave, I could be wrong but I think this is one of the quickest builds, if not the quickest, I can remember being discussed on this site. Congrats on having such an amazing work ethic, and of course a wife that would allow it...lol. Looking forward to sing "Midnight" in the water 8) :)

Nova - Mark Bronkalla states on his website that he built his Riviera in 10 months so he has me beat. That is why I set my timeline at 11 months and then I went and added a bunch of detail work such as those soles. Go figure :roll:

But the stereo will crank out Gold City on the day of launch for sure.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Sat May 01, 2010 9:02 pm

Wait a minute :!:

Dave,
Now you tell us that you knew what the record was and you didn't strive to beat it. :shock: I'm heart broken, dazed, and confused. As much as I hate to say this, you let me down. :wink: This leaves me no choice. I'm going to cancel my Dave Lott Fan Club membership. :P :lol:
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Sun May 02, 2010 3:32 am

I believe Garrys built his Monaco in 10 months too.

Quite an accomplishment for all you guys though...it took me about 1 1/4 years to build each of my TNT's !!!! :roll: :wink:

Oyster

Post by Oyster » Sun May 02, 2010 4:32 am

Pretty work,, In regards to the trailer costs and issues, I have one standard response for that one when people discuss trailers for their completed project. That is one area that cannot be compromised especially if you intend on over the road hauling. Pennies saved on short cuts and less than desirable undercarriages cannot be recouped when we are dealing with these time consuming projects, not withstanding the amount of money involved either.

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Sun May 02, 2010 4:54 am

Not to mention that an improperly set up trailer will distort your boat,and be a real pain to launch and retrieve.

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Sun May 02, 2010 5:37 am

Mike and Warren - dead on about the trailer. I had purchased a bank repo regular trailer and was having a welding shop modify it. The more I looked at my boat the more I became convinced that there was no way I was going to haul it on a modified trailer so I went and found the proper trailer for an inboard. It was also a bank repo trailer built for a 21' Wave Setter. The only mods I may have to do will be the support under the keel at the front cockpit. This is where the bottom angles start getting severe. I suspect I will have to adjust the bunks to match my hull profile at this point. The good part is I took measurements on the flat portion in the aft and they are exact. So I was lucky in the find. The trailer has double axle, hyraulic brakes, 7000# rating.

You are right. This ended up costing me about $700 more than the modified regular trailer. Perhaps this was a steal after all.

dave
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

upspirate

Post by upspirate » Sun May 02, 2010 6:37 am

A lot of times it's cheaper in the long run to buy the more expensive tool/thing that fits the job better.

As thrifty (cheap) as I am, I've learned this over the years,but still make mistakes sometimes!! :oops: :roll:

leakcheck

Post by leakcheck » Sun May 02, 2010 10:34 am

Always buy the absolute best you can afford. (That will leave your wife with less money to waste on shoes!) :?

Steve

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun May 02, 2010 12:29 pm

Always remember, if you buy what is adequate for this project the next project will be BIGGER!

Get what you want. After the pain of paying for it wears off you'll be glad forever.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Sun May 02, 2010 4:04 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:Always remember, if you buy what is adequate for this project the next project will be BIGGER!

No - I am going on sabbatical.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun May 02, 2010 5:14 pm

No - I am going on sabbatical.
:) Want to bet :!:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Power Boats”