Neverending saga

Designs for inboard or outboard power

Moderator: BruceDow

ttownshaw

Re: And we have launch!!!!

Post by ttownshaw » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:46 am

Super happy for you Dave! Glad Midnight finally got wet. Sounds like the first shake-down will lead to an even better second day!

Can't wait to hear the rumble and see her scoot along.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:29 am

Shakedowns are simply that. The hour meter shows a whole .3 hours so you see how long I had her in.

I won't be able to get her back in today. Thunderstorms again!!

But fixed all the issues with no problems this morning.

The bilge was a bad fuse though it did not look burnt.

The leak was due to sealant not filling in underneath the front edge of the shaft log. This is where I cut the hole thru the frame. The bottom the hole arc did not fill completely. I was able to stick a knife edge under the log. Believe me, it is filled in now.

To resolve the shift, I had to pull the ceiling. I simply could not get the shift mechanism to slide out the hole. This is a problem with this unit. It is contrary about the fit.

So working on the stereo. It arrived. And installing the cutwater, t-bands and rubrails later today.

All is good in the Lott household.

Thank you again all.

dave
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:01 pm

Ok, I had intended to hit the water this afternoon for a few hours but we had some severe rain in today and it did not break until just a little bit ago. I will be on the water by 9am tomorrow.

Yet, I was still in the shop all day today putting her back together and fixing the few shakedown issues that arose yesterday.

Thought I would share a few pics of her almost complete. I still need to trim out the front cockpit, install the stereo ( just too tired to do it tonight) and install the rubrail, t-band and cutwater. So there is another day of solid work

But here it is all together. I will have action shots tomorrow in the sun. Promise
100_4471.JPG
100_4468.JPG
100_4472.JPG
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:12 pm

WOW, Looks like somebody is getting all guzzied up for a big date. :D
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

Smith Brother

Post by Smith Brother » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:34 pm

Do you have HEAD SETS for those, WAY, WAY, WAY in the back? Wow, that baby looks long.

Good for you, I have been reading everyday, and I am happy for you.

Dale in Indy
I AM ALWAYS DOING THAT WHICH I CANNOT DO, IN ORDER TO LEARN HOW TO DO IT. ~ Pablo Picasso 1881 - 1973

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:23 pm

Smith Brother wrote:Do you have HEAD SETS for those, WAY, WAY, WAY in the back? Wow, that baby looks long.

Good for you, I have been reading everyday, and I am happy for you.

Dale in Indy

Nahh, that is where I relegate people that want to ride but did nothing to help. Thus I don't have to talk to them and can get them wet at my leisure. :lol:

She looks long but only 21'. But you put her next to a modern 21' and she has more room inside. Most modern boats post a lot of fictitious length with swim platforms and other stuff!

I will post a pic of a 28' Hackercraft reproduction tomorrow afternoon. I saw it last night at the local ACBS gathering. It was built in 1996 by the Hackercraft company (not the original) and is LOOONNNNGGGGG. You can stretch out on the floor in the rear cockpit.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:47 am

Dave
Nahh, that is where I relegate people that want to ride but did nothing to help. Thus I don't have to talk to them and can get them wet at my leisure.
That's why I put you in back last year :!: :wink: :lol: :roll:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:05 pm

you fib. You wanted a framed pic of Lola!!! :lol:
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

mrintense

Re: And we have launch with action shots

Post by mrintense » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:22 pm

Wow Dave, I just went through all the pictures you had on Picasa. Simply amazing. It was like watching you build the whole thing. All the time I'm sitting there with a grin on my face and can't wait for the day I get to start on mine. Congratulations on a beautiful boat.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:24 pm

Ok, Thursday was official but today was fun, fun, FUN!1

I spent 4.5 hours on the water running her thru the paces. Used right at 13 gallons of fuel which is fantasic given that I was continually running the RPM's up due to breaking in the engine. During this time I also joined in a 25 mile cruise run with the Heartland Classic Chapter of ACBS. There was a modern build Hackercraft (1996) and Gentlemen's Racer (1998). Also, met a gent from Kansas City who built a Zip. Stated he recognized Midnight was a Glen-L when I came around the point into the docks.

Yes, I actually docked 3 times today but only to load and unload. I also picked up the local Sea Tow operator and took him out for a ride. Never know when that will come handy.

Anyway, the boat runs FANTABULOUS!!!!

She only feels bow low but actually idles level and cruises perfectly. There is a sweet spot at 30MPH where she just locks in and be darn with the world. The water breaks just under the COG at that speed. Perfect. No leaks whatsover. I did chew up a dock bumper that blew into the engine compartmetn and got under the drive shaft. No more dock bumper (cheap loss for the day)

The lake was rough again today so I did not take her over 55MPH but at that speed there is NO rudder control. She is going straight, flat and fast and that is all she is going to do at that speed. The prop is too small at 15 pitch. I will exchange it for a 16 pitch. I never got the throttle all the way open but was hitting max RPM way too soon which tells me I need more bite the prop.

And she is SMOOOTTTHHHH. It was a pleasant shock for the Admiral how she just ironed out the chop.

And of course I had to flip the Sea Tow operator out of his seat. Sounded like a high school kid hollering back there. :lol:

So let's get to some action shots
100_4489.JPG
Launch 1.jpg
Launch 2.jpg
Last edited by DaveLott on Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:25 pm

Launch 3.jpg
Launch 4.jpg
Launch 5.jpg
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:27 pm

Launch 6.jpg
Launch 7.jpg
Launch 8.jpg
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:28 pm

Launch 9.jpg
Launch 10.jpg
Launch 11.jpg
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Grand Chillin

Post by Grand Chillin » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:35 pm

:D IT'S OFFICIAL :D Your grin says it all!!!! I'm sending a grin and a thumbs up right back at you.
A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth!!!

Return to “Power Boats”