Malahini w/90 Etec

Report the performance of your boat, supply as much information as possible (weight, HP, prop, speed, etc.).
Subject: Make the Glen-L design name the subject. If the design already has a posting, add your information to that post.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Stromz

Malahini w/90 Etec

Postby Stromz » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:10 pm

Could somebody give feedback on what kind of performance I can expect to see with a Malahini using an Evinrude ETEC 90 ?

rbrandenstein

Re: Malahini w/90 Etec

Postby rbrandenstein » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:53 am

Stromz,
Search the forum for JeffH posts on this Malahini. He has an ETEC 90.
Here is one thread on the ETEC. http://www.glen-l.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24493&p=140952#p140952

You could also send a PM to Jeff for additional information.

Stromz

Postby Stromz » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:31 am

Yep. I've searched thru JeffH threads and sent a PM...nothing so far. Hope to hear from him sometime.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:01 am

Stromz

I would expect that a Malahini would do WOT at about the low 40's with 2 people in it. The E-Tec is a very good engine from all reports that I've seen.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Stromz

Postby Stromz » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:52 am

Bill Edmundson wrote:Stromz

The E-Tec is a very good engine from all reports that I've seen.

Bill

Currently have an ETEC 150HO and previously owned an ETEC 130 (V4)...have had excellent success with ETEC's. Their fuel consumption I believe is on par with any 4-stroke. They burn clean, consume very little oil and relatively speaking they are lighter than the 4-strokes. They have gained some weight relative to the old 2-stroke technology, and the newer 4-strokes in some horsepower categories have closed the weight gap. However, in the power category that I tend to work with (115 and higher), ETEC's are lighter than 4-strokes. My own opinion is that the powerheads are likely running closer to the "edge" due to firing on every other stroke. Having said that, I believe running good gas is imperative to protect the powerheads. I have run gas with ethanol without issues but I also ran a fuel stabilizer starting the day the gas was purchased...primarily to keep the water in suspension. This past summer I ran ethanol-free gas and I still added fuel stabilizer...cheap insurance. Avoiding Phase Separation is the goal. I currently use Star Tron stabilizer and have also used Sta-Bil (the red stuff) and have had success with both...Star Tron is cheaper on a per gallon basis and I'm guessing will not harden up like Sta-Bil does when the fuel evaporates. Again my goal is to keep the water in suspension so it goes through the system without issues. However, our fuel that we have on the market today has never had such a short life-span and so protecting for fuel breakdown is also a good thing unless you're in a situation where your fuel turnover happens inside of 5 weeks. My truck puts on about 2,000 miles per year...every gallon of gas gets treated simply because I can't turnover a tank of gas soon enough. Can anyone tell I'm passionate about this stuff? I love my motors!! Love my ETEC's. They've treated me well.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:28 am

Stromz

A few years ago we went to Ambergris Cay, Belize. There are lots of fishing boats and water taxies. At a restaurant/bar that was a few doors up the beach we met a man who has a lot of maintenance contracts on the commercial boats. He said that the sand there is mostly broken shells and corral. These engines are really abused. I asked him which outboard he would recommend? Without hesitation, 4 Stroke Yamaha. 2 Stroke E-TEC. Yamaha has the best engine monitoring system. E-TEC needs almost no maintenance. All you do is adjust the injectors from time to time

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DSR

Postby DSR » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:32 am

Hi Dave.
Just curious, what year is your HO?
DSR Performance - Home of yet another jet TNT build :D
Codename "Just A Little....."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29753

Stromz

Postby Stromz » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:41 pm

DSR wrote:Hi Dave.
Just curious, what year is your HO?

Hello Mr. Dave,
My 150HO ETEC is a 2013MY. Bought it used a couple summers ago with 1 season on it and about 75 hrs. Will probably take it in next spring and get on the diagnostic for software updates and a hardcopy of the hours. Been kicking around the idea of a 115HO on the Malahini. The only thing that concerns me is the transom and therefore would beef up with 3 layers of ply and extra knees. I know I'll catch flack for "over-powering"...I don't see it that way at all. My 16' Glastron has the 150HO and it's an awesome ride, but will also do bodily harm if you get stupid with the throttle. Manage the throttle and it's a blast! My 14.5"x26" prop will push it 40 mph-plus @ 3,000 rpm (redline is 5,500)...still rocks out of the hole even with that much pitch. Going from 25 to 45 is exhilarating. For those interested, checkout my YouTube videos and see for yourself.

David

Stromz

Postby Stromz » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:50 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:Stromz

A few years ago we went to Ambergris Cay, Belize. There are lots of fishing boats and water taxies. At a restaurant/bar that was a few doors up the beach we met a man who has a lot of maintenance contracts on the commercial boats. He said that the sand there is mostly broken shells and corral. These engines are really abused. I asked him which outboard he would recommend? Without hesitation, 4 Stroke Yamaha. 2 Stroke E-TEC. Yamaha has the best engine monitoring system. E-TEC needs almost no maintenance. All you do is adjust the injectors from time to time

Bill

Not surprised and have heard similar comments. I've owned ETEC's dating back to my last snowmobile (600 cc, 2009) and I'm still stunned by how they perform. The snowmobile was a total game-changer and I decided right then that if I were to get into boating, etec would get the go. I have to say that there are a lot of fine outboards these days and the 4-strokers have really come along way. Their weight was always the grind I had but wow have they improved. You're right about the etec maintenance...doesn't hardly get any better than ETEC. The winterization process is a piece of cake. As I've mentioned, the powerheads are probably a bit more sensitive than a 4-stroke (IMHO) and therefore I continue to be very anal about my use-protocol and I don't stray from it ever.

DSR

Postby DSR » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:44 pm

I figured it was quite a bit newer than my Fast Strike was just by looking at the engine in the videos. It definitely does run, that's for sure!
The Malahini would definitely run with a 115HO too. Definitely overpowered but it wouldn't be the first boat to be in that situation would it... :lol:
Does the Malahini have anything for stringers in it? If you do something like the 115 on it, I wonder if putting a set in to tie the frames and transom together, to keep the hull from doing weird things, might not be a bad idea?
Just a thought......
DSR Performance - Home of yet another jet TNT build :D
Codename "Just A Little....."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29753

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:45 pm

A couple of extra knees and building a beefy motor-well should do it. My motor-well ties into frame 1 and with the plywood added to complete the box for drainage it really creates a strong assembly.
Is the 115 the same weight as the 90? Many engines keep the same block and weight for a range of HP.

IMG_0654.JPG

IMG_0655.JPG

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:25 pm

Bob

I just looked the 115, 115HO, and the 90HO all show 390#. The 75 and 90 both show 320#.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Stromz

Postby Stromz » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:02 pm

The 320 lb 90 is a 3 cylinder. The 115 (old models) come in at 375. The 115HO comes in at 390 lbs and all the new 115's come in at 390 lbs. The 115 is a V4.
Last edited by Stromz on Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stromz

Postby Stromz » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:08 pm

rbrandenstein wrote:A couple of extra knees and building a beefy motor-well should do it. My motor-well ties into frame 1 and with the plywood added to complete the box for drainage it really creates a strong assembly.
IMG_0654.JPG

IMG_0655.JPG

I like that a lot especially how you tied into frame #1. A beefy motor well can add so much strength. That's how I beefed up my 16' Glastron to carry my 418 lb Etec 150HO. My plan is to use three 3/4" plys in the transom, extra knees, and that beefy well. That should do the job. Thanks for the photos.

Scott

Postby Scott » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:17 pm

If I may chime in, a 90 etec is probably their best engine right now. There are lighter 90hp motors but not as far as high tec. By far the lightest 90hp O/B was the Nissan 2 cylinder 90hp weighing in at 181 lbs. Then the Yamaha 90 at 261 pounds. Then the Mercury 90 ELPTO at 303 lbs.
The Etec is pretty great. Good luck with your build :)
Thun.der.bolt
ˈTHəndərˌbōlt

A flash of lightning with a simultaneous crash of thunder.

An ignition system of early Mercury outboards that not only is a nightmare to diagnose but also improves a marine mechanics competency.

Return to “Speed and Performance”