fisherman with merc 30hp efi

Report the performance of your boat, supply as much information as possible (weight, HP, prop, speed, etc.).
Subject: Make the Glen-L design name the subject. If the design already has a posting, add your information to that post.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

stefaan

fisherman with merc 30hp efi

Post by stefaan »

My Fisherman is powered by a Mercury 30HP EFI with remote steering.

I finished my fisherman this summer and here's my experience on performance after a few months.
Here's a link to my gallery: https://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/fisherm ... nt-belgium

I first had the fuel tank and battery in the back, but quickly changed this configuration and put everything in front.
This change in weight distribution really pays off!
I have spray rails (not an option, a must-have!) but no skeg and I’m not missing it, the boat steers perfectly in all conditions going back or forward.

I first had the standard 3 blade prop and when driving alone, it planed out quickly reaching a top end speed of 30,4 MPH

Due to a stupid accident going to close to the shore and hitting a rock, I damaged my prop.

I changed my prop for a mercury 4 blade spitfire prop and this change is quite the improvement!
Low speed cruising is quieter (less power is needed), no vibrations at all and steering is even more precise.
The biggest improvement is when hitting the throttle, it feels like having 10 extra HP, the acceleration is truly spectacular!
The top end speed is slightly lower, I reach 27,5 MPH but who cares, it’s still exciting and I can keep the boat in plane at a much lower speed (12 MPH) than with a 3 blade prop which I find also a huge improvement.
Builder of a Glen L. Fisherman

Ibrew2be

Re: fisherman with merc 30hp efi

Post by Ibrew2be »

Stefaan, your boat looks beautiful. Thanks for posting the link to your build photos.

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched.

Build of Ken Bassett's Rascal currently on hiatus

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Awesome job on the boat. I swapped to a 4 blade prop this summer and have been happy with it as well.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Great looking boat, very versatile!
Glad your boat is dialed in with the 4 blade prop.
Matt B

stefaan

Post by stefaan »

hoodman wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:37 pm
Awesome job on the boat. I swapped to a 4 blade prop this summer and have been happy with it as well.
Thank you Matt, I've been looking at your Geronimo! This design was also on my radar but I figured I better start smaller as a first build. Although I'm happy with my result, I regret sometimes not building the bigger Geronimo. This might be my next boat! What's the performance with your Geronimo and how does it handles in chop?
Builder of a Glen L. Fisherman

kens

Post by kens »

Beautiful, clean build.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

stefaan wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:52 am
hoodman wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:37 pm
Thank you Matt, I've been looking at your Geronimo! This design was also on my radar but I figured I better start smaller as a first build. Although I'm happy with my result, I regret sometimes not building the bigger Geronimo. This might be my next boat! What's the performance with your Geronimo and how does it handles in chop?
I love my Geronimo. Performance is great with 90hp. It can be a bit bouncy and uncomfortable in heavy chop but it will get you there without getting wet. I can always back off and go in displacement mode. That's when you can crank the tunes.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Return to “Speed and Performance”