Info on the Cummings

Report the performance of your boat, supply as much information as possible (weight, HP, prop, speed, etc.).
Subject: Make the Glen-L design name the subject. If the design already has a posting, add your information to that post.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

opc167

Info on the Cummings

Post by opc167 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:38 am

If anyone has a setup, Can you forward to me info regarding what is the setup using a Cummings Desiel w/stern drive. What I'm trying to research is for a 5500 displacement on the Bandido Deep-V, would the Cummings perform well as a single engine with enough RPM's to run the boat at a decent cruise? Of course, my definition of cruise is 32-40 MPH with top end around 50?

The Cummings, as I know it, is a low RPM motor by design but produces an extensive amount of torque. I can't afford twin desiels but if a single engine setup would not push it, I'll have to look at going with twin 350's. Any info, I'd appreciate it.
A good listener can do. One that keeps making mistakes, never listens!

sschefer

Re: Info on the Cummings

Post by sschefer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:03 am

Which Cummins are you thinking of using? There are several options but nothing that's going to push you to 50 mph without an overdrive transmission. Diesels are a great option and provide a huge safety factor because diesel fuel is not considered flamable.

Pickup truck diesel engines are designed to run in the 1800-2400 rpm with a shift point max rpm in the 3200-3600 rpm range.

Taken into context, this means your either have a great top end with a multi-shift automatic transmission or a meager top end without one. If you prop up to get the top end you wan't your bottom end speed will be more than you can manage while trying to manuver and dock.

At one point I considered a diesel in the Canyon Cruiser. Rogue boats has done it with moderate success. I looked at conversions, etc. but pound for pound (litterally) and dollar for dollar the Yanmar was the best solution. In my case I found that I could expect to pay around 25 thousand dollars for a decent, complete new propulsion system if I shopped it right. I would have been at 18,000.00 with a new Kodiak 8.1L and Hamilton HJ212 jet pump.
Steve Schefer
Santa Rosa, Ca.

New Years Resoluiton - Never leave something for someone else to do when I should be doing it myself.

kens

Post by kens » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:56 pm

Cummins does have the engines that will do it, but, they dont couple them to a sterndrive. I looked at the Cummins sterndrive site and only found the 220B engine as the biggest to a sterndrive. The Mercruiser I/O just wont take the torque.
If you opted for Vee-drive you could couple a Quantum B series or a C engine to a tranny and get there. But, a Cummins Quantum + the veedrive to match it would be expensive.
You could buy 2x 350 V8's for less money.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Mr Hot Rod

Post by Mr Hot Rod » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:28 pm

It's not a Cummins but ...

Imco Marine's Nordic 21 Blaze Project Boat used a 500 HP 6.6-liter Duramax diesel (turbocharged and intercooled) and an IMCO SCX drive to reach 77 MPH.

At 28K for the drive, you'll need a big budget for this project ...

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.boats.chelseacoachworks.com

kens

Post by kens » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:20 pm

If you want a Bandido diesel go-fast, then a surface drive would be the way to go. You can couple that to diesel with 1:1 gears or overdrive.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:24 pm

I run a 125 hp diesel with a 1:1.25 reduction. I can turn 3900 rpm. That is about 3000 at the prop. I have 16 pitch prop. The boat will run about 40 mph.

The question is can you get a gear prop combo that will get you what you want?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Mr Hot Rod

Post by Mr Hot Rod » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:35 pm

Glen-L's Bandido Speed/Power Chart predicts 385 HP to reach 45 Knots (52 MPH) for the 5350 lbs. displacement wood version.

• The Cummins QSB5.9-480 HO 480 HP engine with Mercury Racing’s NXT¹ sterndrive may get you close to your target top speed :
• QSB5.9 Engine Specs : 472 BHP @ 3400 RPM, 942 ft*lbs @ 2200 RPM

• Mercury Racing Dry Sump NXT¹® Drive

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.boats.chelseacoachworks.com

Return to “Speed and Performance”