A runabout that can't plane???

Report the performance of your boat, supply as much information as possible (weight, HP, prop, speed, etc.).
Subject: Make the Glen-L design name the subject. If the design already has a posting, add your information to that post.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Psuedomonas

A runabout that can't plane???

Postby Psuedomonas » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:13 pm

Some of you know that I build 1930 mahogany runabout replicas with modern epoxy and glass technology and modern propulsion.. Lately I've been thinking about an electric version of the same boat. These are light weight (900 lbs) modified deep V hulls that are designed to plane. From what I discovered about electric propulsion, I can't get enough running time into a boat I expect to plane because of battery requirements and consequent weight. But,,,, what if it didn't plane? What if if just cruised at a stately 8-10 miles an hour. Would that be so bad? Would people be disinclined to buy it because it didn't roar around like runabouts usually do? For my part, I think I'd be content- but after all, I have to sell these babies. What do you guys think??

upspirate

Re: A runabout that can't plane???

Postby upspirate » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:17 pm

Personally,I don't think that type of boat would sell if it wouldn't plane

I saw one electric version that was in the UK or somewhere over seas I think, that would plane, but I don't know how long the range was at planing speeds

i wouldn't spend the bucks on one that didn't

red

Postby red » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:00 pm

you need li poly batteries and you will have more than enough amps to plane out and do it faster than the gas set up you are running now also it will be half the weight of lead acid or gel cell batteries but it will cost you alot to do it

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Postby Trackhappy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:38 pm

A friend told me you can buy used Toyota Prius batteries in the USA really cheap at wreckers and they are great batteries... Must do some research on what they are.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

fschonowski

Postby fschonowski » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:05 am

Planing boats are inherently inefficient when on plane or off. I would surmise that 4 to 5 knots would be the max for displacement efficiency of a small hard chine boat. Electric boats that are popular are generally round bilge dispacement hulls, and even they cruise at 6-7 knots. Sure there are electric mahogany runabouts that really get moving, but there is a very large penalty to pay with regards to weight and expense. I just think that if one were to build a displacement boat, it should be in the form of a displacement hull. A few people may like to have a boat that you describe, but I wouldnt count on it being too many. Just my 2 cents. BTW, 8-10 knots is going to be very close to the most inefficient speed for a small planing runabout. Either get on plane or slow down to 4 knots the way I see it.

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:09 am

For me, part of the romance of the mahogany runabouts is the roaring drone of that motor :D :D when under way and the burbling idle at the dock :D :D . Without that :shock: :shock: ??? No way for me!!!! :( :( An electric runabout that only went 8-10 mph??? Kinda like hobbling a thoroughbred. Might as well leave it on the trailer. :roll:

That's my opinion.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:23 am

It's built here in the states....
Not bad for $100-$120K!!!! :shock: :roll: :lol:

8hrs at 5-6 MPH....doesn't say how long at faster speeds

http://www.edisonboats.com/

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:05 am

Very Impressive!!! The speed and power look pretty good, but I wonder how long it will perform at those speeds and pulling a skier. From the video, the sound wasn't too bad either. Way too expensive for me to worry about, though!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Psuedomonas

Postby Psuedomonas » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:21 am

thanks guys- that's what I expected- an intelligent analysis and a definite answer. Not what I hoped, but what I needed. I'll stay with the runabouts- I'm all set up to do that boat- and I'll continue to look for gas engine options.

khundley

Postby khundley » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:09 am

Steyr Motors has a hybrid Deisel Electric motor that you might be interested in. I really know nothing about it, but it might have some of the features you are looking for. Check out:

http://www.steyr-motorsna.com/404/

You can select different engines from here. Looks pretty cool, actually.
Ken Hundley
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan

Scott

Postby Scott » Mon May 02, 2011 5:57 am

It would be erie quiet with an electric motor.

Yamaha has a 4 stroke marine engine thats only 1052cc. Its in some of their bikes, boats, PWCs and snowmobiles as well. It puts out 160hp and does so at about 10 000rpm. Its really light weight and it was used in Harbercraft/Jetcraft boats, the 1875 to be exact. It pushed it to 28mph and the boat out weighed your boats by far.

Good luck with your search!
Thun.der.bolt
ˈTHəndərˌbōlt

A flash of lightning with a simultaneous crash of thunder.

An ignition system of early Mercury outboards that not only is a nightmare to diagnose but also improves a marine mechanics competency.

Psuedomonas

Postby Psuedomonas » Sat May 14, 2011 2:16 pm

wow Scott- I'll check that out immediately. The key will be drive system- I don't want a jet so will see it it mates to I/O

Merxnavy

View the latest post

Postby Merxnavy » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:27 pm

Bob has the access guests have to view and read posts been limited?

As I only saw intro, general and planning before I logged in

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:26 am

Merxnavy--access to browsing guests shouldn't be limited. But, it could be limited based on your IP address--we have had issues with that.

Casiopea

Postby Casiopea » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:42 pm

Pseudonomas, this discussion is too interesting forcwotds. Questions: at what rate of knots the your runabouts start to plane? Are they twin prop? How many HP onboard?

Return to “Speed and Performance”