Sliding

Report the performance of your boat, supply as much information as possible (weight, HP, prop, speed, etc.).
Subject: Make the Glen-L design name the subject. If the design already has a posting, add your information to that post.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

rjlemay sherman ct

Sliding

Postby rjlemay sherman ct » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:14 pm

Hi all,
When you do a "sliding" turn, is it a dangerous maneuver? I mean, can the boat flip? This past weekend, I entered some very calm water, at full throttle, pulled a turn, and felt the boat slide, just like we all see in the videos. It was fun, I just want to know how dangerous it is? thanks,
Bob

DaveLott

Re: Sliding

Postby DaveLott » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:26 pm

It happens a lot with our low deadrise bottoms. I have gone into some pretty long slides myself. Take a look at my video on my website and about half way thru, I go into a big turn. It is big cuz I am sliding thru it and you can see it when I get back to straight with the camera.

I worry about the outside chine catching and flipping. So I try not to do it.
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:35 pm

I have almost flipped a hard chined boat by catching a chine at 42 MPH or so.....granted there were some other factors( the tilt bolt broke and the boat abruptly turned left)....but I was amazed the boat didn't turn over.....no fun.

Learn what it'll do before you step things up.

This was the boat:
Attachments
scan0002.jpg

red

Postby red » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:36 pm

like the others said it can be dangeros it is fun some times but i have seen a boat almost flip it was doing about 65 mph when it caught a chine and tuned so hard that it threw the driver out luckly he was wearing a pfd and had the kill switch hooked to his leg he was banged up but otherwise okay so if you are going to play know the limits of your boat or you might end up hurt

rjlemay sherman ct

Postby rjlemay sherman ct » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:18 pm

Hi Warren,
I took it out today, and the rpm's dropped from 6000 to 5600, with the ss prop. I took the gps, and the top speed read 31mph. This is completely acceptable performance for me, and I had a blast today. The lake was completely calm, and I was the only one out there. I found that if I lean into a turn at about 1/2 throttle, get thru the turn, then nail it again, the acceleration is incredible! This is too much fun!
Bob
Attachments
035.JPG

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:10 pm

31 mph in a small boat close to the water, too much fun! Enjoy 8)

So in the picture are you doing 31 on gps and 28ish on the mph guage? Can you even hear the radio when you are running that fast?

rjlemay sherman ct

Postby rjlemay sherman ct » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:24 am

Chris,
you can't believe the power of that stereo!. I think it's 70 watts x 4. I only had 2 speakers behind the seat, and couldn't hear it at full throttle, then this week I stuffed 2 more speakers up under the bow... now you can hear it at any speed!! That picture was taken, coming out of a turn, so we were not up to full speed yet. The speedo is NOT accurate. The new depth finder was a kick though!!
Bob
037.JPG
Attachments
034.JPG

Return to “Speed and Performance”