revised prop performance

Report the performance of your boat, supply as much information as possible (weight, HP, prop, speed, etc.).
Subject: Make the Glen-L design name the subject. If the design already has a posting, add your information to that post.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

billy c

Re: revised prop performance

Postby billy c » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:21 pm

DaveLott wrote:
About "running right". Well at least I can proudly admit that I don't "run left" :lol:

dave

running in one big circle Dave :roll:

glad the wheel finally fits. what a pita to get something that works. i know the original prop they told me would be right for mine also was over the top end rpms too i think the light weight of our cold molded hull throws their calcs off some.
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:28 pm

62!!!! WOW!!! I guess you found the sweet spot on that combo.

Roberta :D :D :D :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

kens

Postby kens » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:58 pm

Dave,
What is the final wheel size, is it a stock prop from their inventory or did they tweek one of the sizes?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:59 pm

billy c wrote:
DaveLott wrote:
About "running right". Well at least I can proudly admit that I don't "run left" :lol:

dave

running in one big circle Dave :roll:

glad the wheel finally fits. what a pita to get something that works. i know the original prop they told me would be right for mine also was over the top end rpms too i think the light weight of our cold molded hull throws their calcs off some.
-Billy

I tend to agree with you Billy. Fully loaded I am at only 2600#. I suspect the ski rigs this engine is used in weigh in over 4000#. That is significant.
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:03 pm

kens wrote:Dave,
What is the final wheel size, is it a stock prop from their inventory or did they tweek one of the sizes?

Ken - it is the tweeked 1492. Upped the cup from .105 to .130. That was all it took to get the RPM's down. The singing was stopped by squaring up the trailing edge of the blade. The porpoising was stopped by a 6" long wedge only 1/8" thick.

Unbelievable that such tiny adjustments was all it needed to lock down performance.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:06 pm

Roberta Hegy wrote:62!!!! WOW!!! I guess you found the sweet spot on that combo.

Roberta :D :D :D :D

I have been above 60 before but with high RPM's. This felt right and the engine was not screaming at me. But I was by myself with a full tank in smooth water in cove. It was SUWEEETTTT!!!
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

kens

Postby kens » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:29 pm

Dave,
you originally needed to knock off 800rpm correct?
and you propped from a .105 to a .130 cup correct?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:13 pm

you originally needed to knock off 800rpm correct?
and you propped from a .105 to a .130 cup correct?

I was trying to get from 5800 to about 5000. This increase in cup reduced it 500RPM to 5300. I can live it that
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:51 pm

Glad you got her dialed in Dave. I hope you arent out of things to tweak, who knows what youre capable of with idle time on your hands! :shock:

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:21 pm

vupilot wrote:Glad you got her dialed in Dave. I hope you arent out of things to tweak, who knows what youre capable of with idle time on your hands! :shock:

IDLE TIME!!!!! Who is the heck has idle time? The shop is the therapy from the 5 (yes FIVE) frigging companies that drive me bananas in this frigging economy with friggin high gas prices and friggin yellow back leaders causing all types of friggin nonsense for us guys just trying to make a friggin living. Criminy where's my shop - I need to breathe some sawdust in a hurry to calm down!!! :lol:
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

kens

Postby kens » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:42 pm

DaveLott wrote:

Ken - it is the tweeked 1492. Upped the cup from .105 to .130. That was all it took to get the RPM's down. The singing was stopped by squaring up the trailing edge of the blade. The porpoising was stopped by a 6" long wedge only 1/8" thick.
Unbelievable that such tiny adjustments was all it needed to lock down performance.

Did you notice that is about a 0% slip on that wheel?

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:59 pm

Ken - What chart are you looking at? The calculation chart I have still shows some slippage ( a little over 5%) with this wheel. Looking at it from that point of view that is quite unreal. OK, I am leaving this puppy alone.

dave
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:46 pm

Well, I took Midnight out for a 70 mile run today. The water was choppy and I had extra weight with passengers. Top speed was 57mph today at 5200 rpm

I don't know what Bill Weeks did to this prop but dang, it is suweeeettttttt. Smooth as silk.

And then we almost had a castastrophe at the ramp. Friggin boat dock owners had stretched their anchor cable across the ramp. It was about 2' underwater. My trailer caught it across the back corner. My wife noted the cable as she was coming onto the trailer, but fortunately she had already killed the engine and stopped the prop. :shock: :shock: I was one TICKED OFF person. I got off with only some paint damage on the trailer. It is stuff like this that would drive a man to kill someone. :twisted:
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:41 pm

What were these people thinking?!?!?!?!

Return to “Speed and Performance”