revised prop performance

Report the performance of your boat, supply as much information as possible (weight, HP, prop, speed, etc.).
Subject: Make the Glen-L design name the subject. If the design already has a posting, add your information to that post.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

psychobilly

Re: revised prop performance

Post by psychobilly » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:18 am

I'll give him some psycho therapy if he comes to Texas! :lol: As long as he brings Midnight!

Dave, as you know I also hang out in the Mastercraft Forum to learn about my donar boat, (please don't tell the OL that it's a donar boat yet) and those guys talk very highly of OJ wheels.

If you're interested give this guy a call.

Eric Johnson
Johnson Propeller Co., Inc
OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

Now I realize you have an ACME wheel but watching this guy in the other forum, he knows his stuff when it comes to wheels. I bet Kens and Eric could talk for hours! :)

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:34 am

Just looked at a chart of theirs, they have a size just a little larger than my current 1492 Acme. I have another test one coming in from Acme. I will give it a shot and also call OJ to try theirs. So so close.

The water on Table Rock if very hard and turns the bronze props a nice patina in one moment. Interestingly, I learned that spraying them with WD40 stops the patina. What else will that stuff do?

dave
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:23 am

Well, I found out why my Acme 1492 would not work. Apparently, there was a mixup at the plant with my instructions and they thought they had to take 1400RPM off my speed so the recupped it to over .200. WHOOOPSSS!!!

They are fixing it now. No problem. We are going to reduce the cup to .130 and see what happens. I found out the original cup was .105 NOT. 080. SO with this little increase we might be right there.

Check back later.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

kens

Post by kens » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:04 pm

psychobilly wrote:he knows his stuff when it comes to wheels. I bet Kens and Eric could talk for hours! :)
Yeah, I talk to him before. OJ, ACME, Michigan, they all got a knowledgeable guy onboard their shop. BUT, none of them seem to have experience with boats as light as ours. Sometimes they even question the weight of my boat. (I have had it on scales) They can tell all about production fiberglass boats that are heavy & full of foam.
That is what most conversions with these guys are..........full of foam.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Nova SS

Post by Nova SS » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:14 pm

kens wrote: BUT, none of them seem to have experience with boats as light as ours. Sometimes they even question the weight of my boat. (I have had it on scales) They can tell all about production fiberglass boats that are heavy & full of foam.
That is what most conversions with these guys are..........full of foam.
on the vdrive site I belong too a good number of them get their props from Tom Bentley. He owns Menkens Vdrives. I guess they sell Radiece props. Anyway the guys that use Tom's props have nothing but good to say about him and the product. A lot of the boats these guys are building have bare hulls less then 500lbs. Very light layups. tom guarantees that your boat will perform better with his prop or he will make it right. I guess they have a 3 day turn around on props. I've never used him but I saw Ken's comment and thought I would pass this along.

http://www.menkensvdrives.com/index.html

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:23 am

Upon return and investigation by Acme, the chief engineer found that the tech has over cupped the prop and REALLY overcupped one blade. This killed my prop leaving it out of balance.

The chief engineer personally corrected the prop. I will have it back tomorrow and try it this weekend.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:51 am

Hopefully they got your wheel right this time.

kens

Post by kens » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:58 pm

DaveLott wrote:Upon return and investigation by Acme, the chief engineer found that the tech has over cupped the prop and REALLY overcupped one blade. This killed my prop leaving it out of balance.

The chief engineer personally corrected the prop. I will have it back tomorrow and try it this weekend.
So, ummmm, they gave you a prop that was out of balance but at least it wasnt singing? Right??
Sounds like as good a compromise as anybody else has come up with , including the gynocologist.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:21 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:23 am

lol .......... kens you ain't right!!! lmao :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:32 pm

The prop is back and it LOOKS right.

The specs from the shop show a .130" cup which resulted in just a slight curl on the trailing edge - not very much. Before, this curl almost went 90 degrees on me.

Anxious to try it out this weekend.
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

psychobilly

Post by psychobilly » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:47 am

taps fingers on computer waiting on answer.....

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:26 pm

Well, stop tapping. It is correct now. The WOT is right at 5300 with a top speed of 62 on the GPS. No vibration and smooth as silk

I am most pleased.

dave
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:28 pm

Dave

Glad it's right now! It's good to know when you're running right.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DaveLott

Post by DaveLott » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:33 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:Dave

Glad it's right now! It's good to know when you're running right (correct/on the money/where you want it).

It's good to be a moderator :!: :wink:
Bill

And no porpoising either. Got that fixed and right on the edge of wanting to as well. The boat comes up and you can tell it wants to porpoise but settles right down and goes. So I got lucky with the little wedges. They are dead on.

About "running right". Well at least I can proudly admit that I don't "run left" :lol:

dave
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Return to “Speed and Performance”