almost finished T N T

Report the performance of your boat, supply as much information as possible (weight, HP, prop, speed, etc.).
Subject: Make the Glen-L design name the subject. If the design already has a posting, add your information to that post.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

woodenfinn

almost finished T N T

Postby woodenfinn » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:24 pm

http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wooden ... .dir=/mail This is the link to pics of my T N T thats not quite finished yet. The boat weighs in at about 130. The mariner 40 magnum weighs 185. I keep about 5-8 imperial gallons in the 12 gallon tank, and i come in at a nice round 199 :roll: . I ve only had the nerve to trim the motor up one hole and pulled the pin right out again because she became airborne in about 2.5 seconds and started to chine walk at an extremely violent rate. Too busy to true up the bottom, way too much fun, with my wife along shell do about 40 or so, and solo with the trim pushing the bow into the water as much as possible im getting around 45 mph with a 13 pitch prop around 4700 rpm. In the spring the bottom will be perfect and the prop will be switched out for a 18-20 pitch. Maybe ill break 60. What do you guys and gals think?

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:55 am

Well, we've all been asking what would happen when you way overpower a boat and now someone has the moxy to try it out. You go Man! Keep us aprised because we're all going to want to know.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

John K

Postby John K » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:18 am

I think your wife should get a very big life insurance policy!

Caber_Feidh

Postby Caber_Feidh » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:50 am

Careful, or you get to try wave-top-break-dancing! Nothing quite like an unstable hull chine walking to scare the life out of you. Those ugly vinyl anti-cav plate hydrofoils can help, but they add some unusual stress factors to the transom. 4 blade prop with allot of rake may help get the stern out of the water a bit, and help the imbalance. (or it will put more chine in the water, and make it worse, I have seen it go both ways)

Or, like my somewhat insane neighbor says, "Just learn to hang on, and drive through it"

In any case, Brave man, good going. (and teach your wife to post on the forum, that way, when you are in traction, she can post us a pix!)

woodenfinn

Postby woodenfinn » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:50 pm

Thanx for the encouragement folks, and i sure like the way your neighbor thinks. LOL. ive thought of the add ons for the motor but im convinced its a problem with the bottom not being true. its actually mentioned in the building manual that the last 4 feet of the hull must be perfectly flat or the result will be unsatisfactory. it isnt and it sure isnt. was a lot of fun in the summer but shes back in the shop for the cold months to true her up and fit her with my new 1955 mark 55 that weighs in at a svelte 90 pounds or so. same power half the weight. the 40 mariner was sheer overkill in the weight department and the mercury is rated at the same hp so the boat should be quite a bit better handling. ill keep ya posted....bottoms up for now.

woodenfinn

Postby woodenfinn » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:17 am

lots of luck!!! no life insurance, what would be the thrill of that?

spring approaches and soon open waters again soon so hope to have another thrilling summer

Posted by his wife

Craig_Bay

Postby Craig_Bay » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:07 pm

Any updates on this boat? Im putting mt TNT with a 40 merc (about 140lbs) in tonight. Do you mean the hull is sort of twisted, because mine sort of looks a little warped as well. Any idea as to how to fix this?
-Craig

woodenfinn

Postby woodenfinn » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:47 pm

hi, we didn't get the boat in the water this summer at all, i'll mention to my husband your question, he's the builder, as far as i understand our problem was due to over sanding the bottom of the boat near the back end, he was planning on getting some kind of filler and re-doing the epoxy after that! sorry i'm not much help on the subject

his wife

slociviccoupe

Re: almost finished T N T

Postby slociviccoupe » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:38 pm

im wondering if a tnt or dynojet with a jet drive will chine walk like it did with the outboard. Ill be powering mine with a 1050cc 2 stroke seadoo motor and 155mm jet pump. The combination is well capable of 70 mph in my 3 seat jet ski that is the donor ski. guess time will tell when i build my boat. Better to not open the throttle all the way then to have it full throttle and not have enough, right?

Return to “Speed and Performance”