Titan Tug specs

Report the performance of your boat, supply as much information as possible (weight, HP, prop, speed, etc.).
Subject: Make the Glen-L design name the subject. If the design already has a posting, add your information to that post.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

slug

Titan Tug specs

Postby slug » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:06 am

Just completed an extensive cruise onboard the Titan Tug Grace Parker.
Here are some statistics for anyone interested.
Weight loaded for cruising (50 gals fuel, 10 gals fresh water) was 5200 lbs.
This includes 840 lbs of placed lead ballast
Motor is a 30hp 3cyl. Kubota industrial diesel with keel cooling and dry stack.
Cruising speed with the ideal 18 x 10 3 blade prop at 2300 rpm is 5.3 knots.
Full speed at 3000 rpm is 6.2 knots using much more fuel.
Fuel economy for the 827 statute miles...57 imp. gals., or over 14 mpg.
Ice lasts for 3 days in the cooler.
Boat will roll violently in a beam sea or wake...it's something we learned to adjust for, either by avoiding those sea conditions or heading in to the wake (just a note...NOBODY has any boating manners any more, but they all wave as they go by with max. wake! The air TRAIN horns were worth the extra expense just to scare the sh.. out of them1)
We did head in to 4 to 5 foot waves on Georgian bay..uncomfortable but the little boat just bobbed along merrily. Having the gas bucket seats and good handholds is a bonus.
Changes I would recommend;
I would add another 8 inches to length in order to increase the size of the v-berth. I could have squeezed a couple out of the head and locker area, but the cabin at 4' 6" is just right and would never shorten it. This winter I will add a swing down shelf beside the stove to aid meal preperation, and also a removeable shelf across the companionway for chart work.
Attachments
DSCN0693.JPG
A closer look at the v-berth
DSCN0694.JPG
looking aft at the cutlery, pots and pans and cooler drawers opened. Pull out shelf/dining room table is above.
DSCN0692.JPG
Looking forward into cabin and v-berth...matresses removed. Note the screen on the door interchanges with the glass window above

slug

Re: Titan Tug specs

Postby slug » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:16 am

And some more pics and info.
We didn't cut any corners on the build, using the best materials and equipment.
Total cost to build including all sailing gear ( ground tackle, lines , etc.) was just over Cdn. $ 37,000. Another 2700 was spent building and galvanizing the double axle with brakes trailer.
Attachments
DSCN0698.JPG
front window and two side windows open, as well as a screen in the fore hatch and door. Works well.
DSCN0697.JPG
The Kubota 30 hp 3 cyl diesel. 3 cyl diesels have an inherent rotational imbalance, and this one is quite noticeable around 1000 to 1100 rpm. I have added 13.6 lbs to the flywheel, and will widen the front motor mounts this winter to try to lessen the vibration transferred in to the boat ( dishes rattle ) Note the stainless filler for anti-freeze...no winterizing here .
DSCN0696.JPG
There's a place for everything!

El Jefe

Postby El Jefe » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:27 am

Doug, did you do most of your cruising on lakes or rivers?

If you did cruise on rivers, did you do much travel against its current?

Thats a great boat you've built, the quality is obvious. Nice job. :mrgreen:

Rick

slug

Postby slug » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:30 pm

Rick; Sorry, I missed this post.
We have done lakes, including Georgian Bay, and rivers, but all with little current other than when exiting locks near dams. Current hasn't been a problem so far.
Doug

Return to “Speed and Performance”