Big Block in a Gentry

Report the performance of your boat, supply as much information as possible (weight, HP, prop, speed, etc.).
Subject: Make the Glen-L design name the subject. If the design already has a posting, add your information to that post.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

66cobra

Big Block in a Gentry

Postby 66cobra » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:28 pm

Anyone put a big block Chevy or Ford in a Gentry?
Jon

billy c

Re: Big Block in a Gentry

Postby billy c » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:35 pm

looks like there is not much freeboard. might get in trouble with all that added weight and HP.
would be better off researching something designed for the power. ...lots of info out there thru the search engines
-a few of the Glen-L vdrive setups will give you the power you want tho. can dress up the deck to suit your tastes
Image.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

kens

Postby kens » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:01 am

66cobra wrote:Anyone put a big block Chevy or Ford in a Gentry?
Jon

The Gentry is not very big as it is,, rather than trying to shoehorn in a Big Block, why not install a 383 stroker, roller cam, aluminum heads ? All that would fit in the same space and give you big block power, and probably for less money than a big block.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

slug

Postby slug » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:11 am

Jon; I've gotten the opinion from posts by the existing Gentry owners, that a small block is more than plenty for this design. Don't think you could use the extra HP from the big block.

Doug

billy c

Postby billy c » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:11 am

kens wrote:
The Gentry is not very big as it is,, rather than trying to shoehorn in a Big Block, why not install a 383 stroker, roller cam, aluminum heads ? All that would fit in the same space and give you big block power, and probably for less money than a big block.

i don't understand ...why all that power in a hull that is not designed for it?

66cobra

Postby 66cobra » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:41 pm

The reason why i thought about a big block is; i have a 427 AC Shelby replica with a 428 FE w/weber carbs and was thinking about building a new 482 FE with webers for the cobra!
A 383 sbc would be a great choice!
Thnx,
Jon

billy c

Postby billy c » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:03 pm

66cobra wrote:The reason why i thought about a big block is; i have a 427 AC Shelby replica with a 428 FE w/weber carbs and was thinking about building a new 482 FE with webers for the cobra!
A 383 sbc would be a great choice!
Thnx,
Jon

yes at least the proper weight and dimension of the engine will go a long way to successful completion of the project.
looking forward to your build :D

Return to “Speed and Performance”