Tunnel Might Weight maximums?

Report the performance of your boat, supply as much information as possible (weight, HP, prop, speed, etc.).
Subject: Make the Glen-L design name the subject. If the design already has a posting, add your information to that post.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

weasel

Tunnel Might Weight maximums?

Postby weasel » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:18 pm

I have a 30hp 3 cylinder yamaha short shaft I am going to put on this Tunnel Might. It weighs 130 lbs the 1 3/4" transom should handle it right? Is the weight going to be a problem sitting in the water? I see a lot of the motors are around 115 lbs anyways. I am also going to put the flotation blocks between the transom and frame 1 and frame 2 in the runners. It might not go as fast but it should stay afloat correctly right? Has anyone had experience with this weight of a motor and this type of setup before. Thanks

chugalug

Re: Tunnel Might Weight maximums?

Postby chugalug » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:45 am

How much do you weigh? don't forget the fuel tank as well as all the hardware (steering)Adding more floatation won't make boat sit higher.that's so you don't sink to the bottom.might want to go with a bigger boat(maybe flying saucer)any time you exceed the designers recommendations,you run the risk of problems.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:06 am

Floatation adds nothing but weight, right up to the time you need it!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

weasel

Postby weasel » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:07 am

Thanks but, I already have the boat plans and hardware (Tunnel Might) and I am cutting pieces already, so changing to a different boat is out of the question.

They say that 4 lbs of this flotation foam holds up to 60 lbs of more weight, what's the story with that? I know it won't sit any higher, but will it remain floating the same as normal? I weigh 200lbs also, and I won't can't lose weight LOL. Thanks and all info helps.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:29 am

One cubic foot of water weighs 62.4 pounds. If you use a foam that weighs 2.4 pounds per cubic foot it will float 60 pounds when the boat is swamped. Until you swamp, it simply adds 2.4 pounds to your boat.

We are mostly water. A life jacket supports, I think, about 14 pounds. If you get on the scale and you weigh 200#, when you put the life jacket on you will not weigh 186#.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:00 am

I would think any extra weight is going to slow you down a little.I've seen a few race boats that run with engine cowlings removed .I'm guessing that's to cut down on weight.looks odd but whatever works.I used to have neighbor that raced little hydros;they would take 25's and soup up to 35's and run up to 60mph.Is your 30 a 4 stoke or 2?good luck and wear your lifejacket.Best part is the build.

weasel

Postby weasel » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:43 pm

So you're saying unless there is actually water in the boat (swamped) it doesn't do any good? So this foam is only for a boat that gets swamped hmmm?

I'm not really worried about how fast I go, 30 - 60 it's all fun. I can just get a steal of a deal on this motor and all attachments, and I haven't made it yet to see if it can float properly with the weight. Thanks you guys. Someday I can help someone out with a "tunnel mite".

weasel

Postby weasel » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:44 pm

Forgot it's a 2 stroke.

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:05 pm

:D that's all the foam is for-for flotation in case of a swamping.coarse it might deaden sound somewhat.I'd rather retrieve a boat from the surface rather than search the bottom.We get more performance from 2 stroke motors .4-strokes get better fuel milage and are quieter,but are heavier.

Return to “Speed and Performance”