transom vs. well mounted

Report the performance of your boat, supply as much information as possible (weight, HP, prop, speed, etc.).
Subject: Make the Glen-L design name the subject. If the design already has a posting, add your information to that post.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

RAS

transom vs. well mounted

Post by RAS »

looking at the Little Hunk for fishing in the Great Lakes area. What is the advantage, if any, of a outboard mounted on the transom or in a well.

thanks
galamb

Re: transom vs. well mounted

Post by galamb »

Since you are talking fresh water you won't have corrosion issues (well mounted outboards are sometimes difficult to get completely out of the water unless you build the boat around the motor).

In a well it can be more difficult to get at for maintenance without removing the entire motor from the well.

The (well) hogs up (deck) space and no matter how much room you have for people/storage etc, it's almost never enough.

If you insulate the well with sound insulation you can really cut down the engine noise.

On some models they just "look better" with the engine hidden.

I work on outboards so I believe you should keep them as "accessible" as possible. If you fold over a prop and the motor is mounted in a well you either limp back to the dock or get a tow. On a transom or bracket mount you tilt her up, do a little contorting and replace the prop (of course I carry a spare) and be on your way (one immediate example I can think of).
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)
kens

Post by kens »

I been watching this thread for awhile, watching what comes up.
The maintenance items mentioned above, to me, seem trivial.

If the OP Little Hunk plans provide for a FULL TRANSOM and a outboard motor in a well, and if the OP is on the Great Lakes, then the FULL transom is a no brainer. The great lakes can get storms and rough seas nearly as much (maybe more so) than offshore blue water seas.
I must ask the OP, 'where are you going'? Are you going 'out into the great lakes' and, you might get a bought of bad weather, then the full transom is a good idea. However, if you are going to stick around skinny water, then skinny water is never gonna get too awful rough.
The Great Lakes are fresh water, for sure, but, they are big enough, and deep enough, that offshore seakeeping is applicable.
My vote goes for a FULL transom, damn the prop changing mentioned above.
RAS

Post by RAS »

I appreciate the input from both of you. I was pretty well set on going with transom but did not know much about the "well set-up". Evidently it was designed for shallow water and beach launching.
Yes, fishing the
Great Lakes some but also big lakes in instate Michigan (plus a few rivers probably)

Thanks again for information

Return to “Speed and Performance”