Double Eagle, center console.

Report the performance of your boat, supply as much information as possible (weight, HP, prop, speed, etc.).
Subject: Make the Glen-L design name the subject. If the design already has a posting, add your information to that post.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

kens

Re: Double Eagle, center console.

Postby kens » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:06 pm

I tried another wheel today.
15x15 medium cup
3950rpm and 27.3mph WOT
A sluggish prop looking at the numbers but, it does seem to have a extra knot at cruise 3000rpm.
The other props ran 20mph around 3200rpm; this one gets 20mph @ 3000rpm and indicating 5.0gal/hr
I pushed the fuel flow up to 6.0gal/hr indicated, and got 24mph gps.
my fuel flo-scan seems to indicate a bit high fuel flow though, since we went 100miles on the River run at G4, and I also went offshore here to J buoy. I think my fuel flow is closer to 4gal/hr on a longer distance.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:54 am

kens that sounds great man! 4 gals an hour sounds great and dude, almost 30mph is a GREAT cruise'n speed!!!

Congrats on the new wheel. I have read a lot on your build and you are the wheel king, I mean you have tried every know combo I believe. :-)

How far is that j bouy? and did you catch any fish? :-)

kens

Postby kens » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:16 am

No, not cruising at 30. 30 is wide open.
Boat ramp to the sound is 10 miles, then j buoy is 20 more miles offshore.
no, didnt catch fish that day, that was a run to check vhf radio from out there, run the chartplotter, fuel burn check, etc.

Who can tell me about VHF radio? It says that VHF is a line-of-sight signal, thus that works out to 12 miles over my horizon. (8'antenna mounted low) But, I called a station 10miles inshore from jbuoy, that means my radio got out 30miles.

How far can you really expect VHF to reach?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

upspirate

Postby upspirate » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:33 am

According to my Chapmans,it says"on average 10 to 15 nautical miles in ship-to-ship situations,and 25-30 miles ship-to-shore,depending on heights of both transmitting and receiving antennas"

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:45 am

Yeah I was gunna say the station you called prolly has a high mounted antenna...

And when I said 30 I was just rounding. :-)

No since in running wide open I agree with ya. Like my skiff for example, it'll run 35 or so but I normally only ever run it at 25.

vettepilot

Postby vettepilot » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:17 pm

upspirate wrote:According to my Chapmans,it says"on average 10 to 15 nautical miles in ship-to-ship situations,and 25-30 miles ship-to-shore,depending on heights of both transmitting and receiving antennas"

Also on Cloudy days you will even transmit and receive even further distances....
The Bitterness of Poor Quality, Remains Long After The Sweetness of Cut Price is Forgotten...Thanks Dad R.I.P.

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:06 am

:lol: you also will get some Skipp but you can't reliey on it because time of day what the weather is like and many other things can effect it. :lol:
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Robert

Postby Robert » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:58 pm

If I may wade in on this, it appears you are at the upper limit of your horsepower range for the 3.0gm motor. Because boats don't coast you can't gear " prop" for higher speed.it's just a thought. Based on your u tube of the double eagle I've got study plans on the way. Great job on your build, well done.

Return to “Speed and Performance”