Improving stability of the gentry

Report the performance of your boat, supply as much information as possible (weight, HP, prop, speed, etc.).
Subject: Make the Glen-L design name the subject. If the design already has a posting, add your information to that post.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Re: Improving stability of the gentry

Postby Trackhappy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:58 pm

I suspect that it is the rather sleek shape that makes it look that way. Most planning boats upper structure tend to rise as you go forward, but Gentry stays pretty much level.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

Mirwin

Postby Mirwin » Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:06 pm

Jin - did you get any further with her stability questions? I think of starting a Gentry too - but if they are a bit 'cranky' maybe not? Thanks, Murray

Trackhappy
Location: Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. Building Gentry.

Postby Trackhappy » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:45 pm

Hi Murray, and Happy New Year. I have only had my Gentry (Brandy) out a few times, and I am by no means an expert but as built to the plans I certainly would have no hesitation in recommending her to you. At 50MPH, I chickened out as it was feeling a little "slippy" from side to side, but that could just have been my lack of experience and a slightly choppy sea.

At idle, she does 5 MPH with good steerage, which is about perfect for tootling around a no wake area, from memory, at 20 MPH you can't see over the bow as it is too high, but not much above that it drops back down and you are in her sweet spot where she really sits flat and shines. The only other quirk is in a sharp high speed turn you get a noise which I think is cavitation. In my haste to get a cheap prop though, I apparently got cupped one, which from what I have since read and learned may be the problem. Haven't had her out since.
All the best,
Glenn.
By the time I have built a boat, I'll be ready to build a boat....

Return to “Speed and Performance”