engine type

Report the performance of your boat, supply as much information as possible (weight, HP, prop, speed, etc.).
Subject: Make the Glen-L design name the subject. If the design already has a posting, add your information to that post.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

keng52

engine type

Postby keng52 » Sat May 16, 2009 8:25 am

I am new to this. I am considering building something fairly substantial (up to 24'). Can a Lister type slow speed diesel be applied to a trawler/tug type of craft?

Fifty Plus

Re: engine type

Postby Fifty Plus » Sat May 16, 2009 7:59 pm

In general yes, how big is your slow speed Lister?

keng52

Postby keng52 » Mon May 18, 2009 5:51 pm

I don't have a Lister engine. I don't even have a boat yet, but I do like the idea. I don't know much about the Lister type engines except that they run at relatively low RPM, are quite miserly with fuel, and can (if you get a good one) run almost forever.

Caber-Feidh

Postby Caber-Feidh » Fri May 22, 2009 2:29 pm

I love the sound of a lister/petter engine. It's a bit like a sewing machine falling down a long stairway. Sabb still makes them. Every now and then a decent sabb pister will show up on ebay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuPUNR6drbI&NR=1

No speed records coming your way, but the nostalgia is definitely there.
Some plan to stroll through Saint Peter's Gates, I plan to go through them at 150mph... backwards... in a screaming ball of flame, with a glimmer belt wrapped around my head, and a NOx button in my hand.

Return to “Speed and Performance”