Kokanee

Report the performance of your boat, supply as much information as possible (weight, HP, prop, speed, etc.).
Subject: Make the Glen-L design name the subject. If the design already has a posting, add your information to that post.

Moderator: Bill Edmundson

Jakkle5

Kokanee

Postby Jakkle5 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:06 pm

Hi

Just bought the plans for the 20'6" kokanee to be made out of plywood. What is the max speed that this hull should be pushed to? Has anyone built one yet that could give some insight into how it rides? Thanks

upspirate

Re: Kokanee

Postby upspirate » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:16 am

Welcome,

That is a nice looking boat. Keep us posted

ttownshaw

Postby ttownshaw » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:37 am

A lot of "How Fast" depends on "How Heavy." If your boat (fully loaded with gear, outboard, fuel, people...) ends up being about 2800 lbs with a 200 HP outboard then I'm guessing around 45 MPH.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

Jakkle5

Postby Jakkle5 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:20 pm

A hull like that is good for 45mph running?I'm new to wood boats so pardon the ignorance.

BulldogBoater

Postby BulldogBoater » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:29 pm

Most of us didn't know much about boats when we started - no worries.

That is a planing hull. 45mph is certainly attainable. Glen-L has a speed calculator that might be of interest to you. http://www.glen-l.com/how-fast.html just click on the Planing boat speed charts link.

Wooden boats are exceptionally sturdy and lighter than a comparable fiberglass boat. You can go much faster on less power. Build it right and most people can handle what the boat can.

Good luck,

KB
"I'm not trying to get it perfect. I'm trying to get it finished!"
Strip Planked Skiff, Jet Squirt, 2 Tubby Tugs, Console Skiff, Modified Kingfisher (Last One #6)

Return to “Speed and Performance”