External Keel for V Dory

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

CptMarco

External Keel for V Dory

Postby CptMarco » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:45 pm

Any ideals for an external keel for a V Dory to facilitate docking on windy days? We built the 23 foot V Dory and stretched it to 25 feet and added a cuddly cabin and hard top. We kept the profile as low as possible.

JoeM

Re: External Keel for V Dory

Postby JoeM » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:28 am

Hi Marco,

Welcome to the forum!

Pictures of your build would be a great addition to the post and for us to just enjoy!

Please use my advice at your own risk as i'm pretty new to this hobby and have yet to even start cutting wood.

How far forward are you hoping the external keel will go? Does the V-Dory not have a Skeg/outer keel in the design? I'm preparing things for a True Grit/Coastal Cruiser build and it calls for a skeg.

In the book, Boatbuilding with Plywood, it lays out how to add a skeg. Pretty much you create a flat surface for your outer keel/skeg to mount. You glass/epoxy your hull including the flat surface. You then bed the skeg to the flat surface with epoxy, though I've heard of people using something like 5200. If you read some of the other builds, others have documented how they accomplished adding a skeg and you could perhaps use them as inspiration in how to tackle your modification.

Hopefully someone a little more experienced will see this and add to this. Good luck!

Edit: After I wrote this I went back to reading the Vera Cruise build by MrIntense in the Power Boat section of these forums. On page 87 of that build he is talking about adding the skeg to his build.

CptMarco

Postby CptMarco » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:46 pm

Joe M, thanks for your reply.
image.jpg
image.jpg
. At this point, I have completed a 5" x 18' keel to add to the bottom during the winter months.

JoeM

Postby JoeM » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:37 am

That's a beauty! Very nicely done! Lake, river, or ocean?

I understand a little better now what you're asking, though I do wonder what you mean by needing a skeg to facilitate docking as the skeg is on the bottom. Are you thinking a rub rail on the side to absorb the dock rash? Or are you thinking about beaching? Or were you thinking about protecting the bow kind of like a cutwater?

In the Boatbuilding with Plywood book from Glen-L on page 128 they talk about the size and placement of the skeg. It should never extend to the transom and on small outboards it should end 15"-18" and larger outboards and inboards you should increase this to ~4'.

That's a big skeg you have at 18' long. I don't know the v-dory plan well but I estimate that length is about the full length of the bottom from the stem\keel transition to transom, right? If it is you may have to cut it down a little. That's the only observation I have for your skeg design itself.

How are you going to add this? Or was that your main question since turning the hull back over is kind of out of the question? :D

I would think the best way to accomplish this would be to make temporary cradle with lots of lengthwise supports so you can leave your keel area exposed. You'd have to have it set high enough so you have enough room to maneuver underneath and create the flat area to bed your skeg down. To get it off the trailer just do the opposite of what you did to put it on the trailer from your build form/cradle.

As far as the actual attachment protocol of getting your flat area to bed it down and what to use I will have to leave it to more experienced people to evaluate a 5" wide skeg and the flat area it needs and whether to recommend epoxy bedding or 5200 for your particular use.

I hope this helped a little!

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:55 am

Cpt.

You might want to contact this guy. http://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/v-dory-d ... am-machala

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Design Modifications”