Delta Q and Quest

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Kimnah32

Delta Q and Quest

Postby Kimnah32 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:15 am

So I have a question. I have a unique problem of being 6'7" and it is extremely difficult to find boats that can fit a person of my size. I'm looking for something that can be used as both a boat and camper, these two designs seem to sort of fit that bill. My question is they are both said to have a max head room of 6'5", would pushing that up a few inches have any sort of adverse effects on the structure of the boat? Ideally head room would be 7' but I could settle for 6'9"-6'10", just enough where I don't have to walk around with a crooked neck. whenever I go inside.

Also, how difficult would it be to adapt the plans for the hull to be done with either steel or aluminum as the plans are only for plywood. I would not adapt them myself, I have a few friends in structural engineering and know a boat engineer all of whom I would ask to adapt the plans and double check what the others have done. I assume it would drive up the cost quite a bit but I would feel a little more comfortable having the hull be welded by professionals vs fastened and fiber glassed by myself. I will do the deck and room construction my self as I love carpentry. I do have a space, my friend has promised to lend me his barn if I take him out on the boat at least once a year when it is done.

Any suggestions that you can think of that might help me out? Like I said I feel quite comfortable doing the cosmetic things, decks, rooms, windows, ect. but the actual hull and structure I would rather leave in the hands of people who actualy know what they are doing. I also feel more confident in my ability to look after and maintain a hull made of steel or aluminium than wood.

Bill Edmundson

Re: Delta Q and Quest

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:10 pm

Kimnah32

I think you could raise the roof on the helm area of the Delta Q. I don't think I'd raise the rear cabin since people can climb up there. Obviously store heavy things down low. And for you, I'd stretch the 10%.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Kimnah32

Postby Kimnah32 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:27 am

Bill Edmundson wrote:Kimnah32

I think you could raise the roof on the helm area of the Delta Q. I don't think I'd raise the rear cabin since people can climb up there. Obviously store heavy things down low. And for you, I'd stretch the 10%.

Bill

So no putting my solid marble statues on the roof? Bummer. I figured as the boat is so thin raising the back cabin would make the boat unstable when people got on the top deck, just wanted to check. I have yet to get the study plans but I think the galley is in the forward cabin so that's at least a plus. If it isnt in the forward bit Ill find a way to put it there. Nothing is worse than cooking half hunched over with a crick in the neck.
I had planned on doing the 10% i want that 2 1/2 extra feet.
There should be space down below for a genny right? As it is designed to have an inboard as an option there should be space as I was going to go with an outboard or two. Although I have heard wonderful things about inboard diesels. My granddad's 1985 trawler purrs like a kitten.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:15 am

Kimnah32

Please, add your location to your profile.

I wouldn't throw a party on the roof. A little sunbathing or kids up there fine.

I had an 8HP diesel in a 8000# sailboat, annual fill-up was 4 gal. I have a 125HP Yanmar in my Tahoe. It will do 38MPH. At the Gathering, we go to Chattanooga for lunch on Friday. It's about 35 miles each way. I use 6 gal. Others either top off in Chatt. or fill up when we get back.

In your case, I think 115 out board will do a nice job for that boat. You might think about a big outboard and maybe a 10HP kicker. one to run and one to just tool around for nothing.

I have a 115 on the Bartender 24' and it will do 35MPH.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Kimnah32

Postby Kimnah32 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:19 am

Oops sorry new I forgot to do something. Ill go fill that out right now. I am in southern NH so I am within relatively easy reach of the NH lakes, although sadly most land on them is privately owned so no state dock sites, about 4-5 hours from Lake George and the Finger Lakes, and about 6-10 hours from Great lakes. One day I may get the nerve to go on the sea but lakes are what I prefer. I would also love to do the Hudson and Mississippi one day.

My goal for speed had been around 15 mph cruising, I'm all about the mosey around life, like a leisurely stroll up the lake. But I will definitely consider the 115 engine, the trolling motor is also a good idea, thank you. As the plan to have the hull professionally constructed with steel or aluminum will drive up the cost, I may skimp on the motor initially and then up grade a few years down the road. And having that extra motor will give me the excuse to do the alumicraft bass build I have always wanted to do. Or at the very least ill have a spare engine if something catastrophic happens.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:27 am

I'll do a little research later on HP and see what range you might need.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Kimnah32

Postby Kimnah32 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:47 am

Thank you.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:10 am

Kimnah

At displacement weight I still came up with 115 HP. That should get you to 22-24 at WOT.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Design Modifications”