Looking for input on scaling down slightly

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

keenancr1

Looking for input on scaling down slightly

Post by keenancr1 »

Im starting work on a hellcat and run into an early issue with the width being slightly too large for where i intend to store it. 7ft 10in entrance, 7 ft 11in boat width.

What would be the best solution here? My first thought is to scale the entire boat down slightly (factor of .05, shaving off 4.75 inches from beam length).

Are there problems with this approach? Any other suggestions?

hoodman

Re: Looking for input on scaling down slightly

Post by hoodman »

Put in a wider door?
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

billy c

Post by billy c »

I would not play with the beam of the boat. I prefer to make your door wider. You will most likely have the trailer wheels and fenders to deal with too.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Both of my trailers are 8'-6" wide. The Bartender is 8'-4" wide.

Just for info.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Look into the appropriate trailer for this boat and check out the wheel base. You may have a hard time finding one that is less than 8 ft.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

The headaches associated with scaling down the beam will be far more difficult in comparison to the job of widening the door.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

keenancr1

Post by keenancr1 »

Thanks all, ill look at trailer sizes and ways to widen the garage entrance rather then scale the boat

parsj1957

Post by parsj1957 »

keenancr1 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:38 pm
Thanks all, ill look at trailer sizes and ways to widen the garage entrance rather then scale the boat
I built a sailboat with a 6'8" beam (6'10" with rub rails) - so I assumed no issue in getting it out of my 8' wide doors. So when it came time to look for a used trailer to modify for my boat, I learned that the vast vast majority of trailers available for a 3000lb displacement (~2200lb dry weight) are 8' + a couple of inches... I never did find one used -- ended up having a custom trailer made by Kokopelli trailers in Phoenix (great folks to work with...but conversation with my wife about the new excessive 'cost' of my project won't soon be forgotten...) -- and then I found that my sailboat would not launch from the trailer - 18" full keel lifted it up too far to float off of anything but the steepest ramps... so the Sailboat is now at a berth. The Sweet Caroline I'm building now is designed to fit/launch from the trailer that sits empty...moral of story --not sure but I'm still laughing at myself and my naivety...but recommend finding the trailer that works and then ensure extra space with the widening project.
J.

Return to “Design Modifications”