tahoe and barrelback merge

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

jamundsen

tahoe and barrelback merge

Postby jamundsen » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:44 pm

What do you think about putting the seating in the Tahoe 19 (extended to 20) with the Barrelback seating? Do you think if one had both sets of plans this could be done failrly easily?
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

Nova SS

Re: tahoe and barrelback merge

Postby Nova SS » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:56 pm

I like the idea however it would require moving the mid mounted motor to the rear of the boat so that you could have seating simular to the barrelback. You could have some balance issues to deal with. Not to mention that since these are direct drive type designs (yes I know they nomally have a tranny) moving the motor to the back would require a really steep shaft angle so you could use the correct size wheel or you would need to run a smaller wheel. (or go with a different driveline type like a Vdrive, I/O, or something like that)

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:38 am

John - Bill Yonescu already did that with his Yone'22. He had to increase frame dimensions by 15% (I believe) in all directions. He squared up the transom and installed an I/O. I have the full plans on this boat and plan on building it next year. I am already accumulating parts and interestingly enough started with the windshield. But in the meantime:

I am finishing up a bunch of little honeydo work projects around the home:
a. new breakfast counter - check
b. new stepped vegetable garden built out of 4x6 stacked 4 feet per level - check and oh, my aching back
c. new step down for entering the boat at the boat dock - check
d. new closet system - half done
e. new patio chairs and table - 2 sets - next on the list

So when I finish with these I have this litte 24' restoration project that is being restored to sell. I am plannning on picking it up while in WI this Sept at the International ACBS Show. The funds will be used to build another Yon'e 22.

However, I am going to extend the hull back to original design with a reverse transom and incorporate a stepped swim platform much as you see on the Rivas. This will push the boat to near 25'

With the stepped transom, I will be installing a V-drive. I reckon I will be calling Paul and Colin down to help with that endeavor. But then I might be opening up a can of worms with those two. :lol: But that is 2 years away so I have time to prepare.

Here is Bill's introductory video after launch of the Yon'e

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYa8zXTEHBc
Dave

Riviera build - the Midnight Cry Project
Glen-L Sea Kayak
Mahalo Standup Paddleboard

Video of Midnight in Action

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

Lewis Barrett

Postby Lewis Barrett » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:52 pm

Hey Dave,

I saw Bill's Yone22 a few years ago at the gathering and have wanted to build it ever since. I love that boat. I've been playing around with a v-drive version with a swim platform and a sun deck over the motor so the kids could use it more. I figured if I did this I could sell my production boat.

Did you buy Bill's windshield?

David

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:08 pm

Yes, I bought the windshield, the switches and his air sander. He gave me the plans as well.

My son made full scale versions of the plans and I can get the Admiral to turn an eye, I just might start working on frame members.

The frames will take a while for the treatment I want to take is time consuming.

dave
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

Few things in the world measure up to the thrill and satisfaction of boating in a boat that you built.

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:30 pm

This is a good rendition of that look
Attachments
2-5-2011 9-42-13 AM.png
2-5-2011 9-42-13 AM.png (89.91 KiB) Viewed 5136 times
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

billy c

Postby billy c » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:05 pm

Dave-
are you going with inboard though rather than i/o?
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:15 pm

Inboard with a v-drive
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

ttownshaw

Postby ttownshaw » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:33 am

Dave...sounds like you've been really busy building stuff! I really like the look of that rear motor.
Bill

I told my wife we needed a three-car garage for my projects...she told me to ask her for permission next time before I buy a house.
http://www.unitybuild.net

everett73503

Postby everett73503 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:06 am

DaveLott wrote:This is a good rendition of that look

Dave, This is the exact look I was looking (Differences in the cockpit) for when I looked through the plans. I'm very interested in how this setup works for you!

DaveLott

Postby DaveLott » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:24 am

The Riva has the same look. I just saw a 26' Riva sold at a Mecum Auction down on FL for $775,000. :shock: :shock:
Dave

Glen-L Sea Kayak

TahoeinBC

Postby TahoeinBC » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:46 pm

Bill Y was also nice enough to send me a copy of his plans. I've had sort of the same idea as Dave L, with a reverse transom design. I find these just look 'bloody great'. No wonder the Riva's are way, way up there.

Does anyone know how his Yon'E22 runs? Is it a wet or dry ride?
I have not been able to locate any video or pics of the completed boat running at higher speeds.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:47 am

My Tahoe 19 is stretched to 20'-6". I increased the size of both cockpits, mostly the front. I squeezed the engine compartment as much as I could. I could not buy enough for a full second row of seating.

The problem is the reverse transom. You can't move the rudder back any without hitting the inside transom. The barrel back is flat bottom, the Tahoe is shallow Vee. The Vee makes the drive train a little longer also (I think.).

Not saying it can't be done. Just throwing out some observations.

The Yone is certainly a strikingly pretty boat. But, with all the modification, to me it lost the classic look that I wanted. It looks like a modern glass boat in a mahogany coat.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Timo

Postby Timo » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:11 pm

Hi John,

Hopefully your other projects are already done :) I really like the design of Tahoe 23, but I want to have more room in the cockpit togerher with V-shape hull and was planning to move the engine backwards and use sterndrive. Luckily someone already did that. I founded Yon'e and tried to find contact details for Bill Y and I found this thread. Would you still happen to have his contacts or can you help me out with this one?

-Timo

DaveLott wrote:John - Bill Yonescu already did that with his Yone'22. He had to increase frame dimensions by 15% (I believe) in all directions. He squared up the transom and installed an I/O. I have the full plans on this boat and plan on building it next year. I am already accumulating parts and interestingly enough started with the windshield. But in the meantime:

I am finishing up a bunch of little honeydo work projects around the home:
a. new breakfast counter - check
b. new stepped vegetable garden built out of 4x6 stacked 4 feet per level - check and oh, my aching back
c. new step down for entering the boat at the boat dock - check
d. new closet system - half done
e. new patio chairs and table - 2 sets - next on the list

So when I finish with these I have this litte 24' restoration project that is being restored to sell. I am plannning on picking it up while in WI this Sept at the International ACBS Show. The funds will be used to build another Yon'e 22.

However, I am going to extend the hull back to original design with a reverse transom and incorporate a stepped swim platform much as you see on the Rivas. This will push the boat to near 25'

With the stepped transom, I will be installing a V-drive. I reckon I will be calling Paul and Colin down to help with that endeavor. But then I might be opening up a can of worms with those two. :lol: But that is 2 years away so I have time to prepare.

Here is Bill's introductory video after launch of the Yon'e

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYa8zXTEHBc

Return to “Design Modifications”