wildcat performance ?

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

mcmbuilder

wildcat performance ?

Post by mcmbuilder »

I have been wanting to build a wildcat(24' version) but have several questions concerning performance of the cat. I have owned a 25' Seacat which is a production fiberglass model. The boat was everything a cat is reported to be. I could run a full cruise speed of 28-30 knots in 3-4' seas and never get pounded or get wet from spray. In wind blown sloppy nasty chops you could ran as fast as you wanted to go and think you were on a calm inland lake. The boat sat very nice at anchor without a lot of rolling. In general it acted more like my nephew's 35' Cabo than a 25' boat.

I have a good friend who owns a 29' Baha Cat and it is nothing like the seacat. It slams in big seas, will soak you with spray, and in a side sea at anchor you better be holding on or you will find yourself in the water. I have been on many different cats and have found some are incredible riding boats and others are not any better than a comparable size monohulls. Does anyone have any input on how the Wildcat or the Bearcat models perform? I am planning on building out of aluminum and do not want a huge investment in a boat I will not be happy with the performance.

mcmbuilder

Re: wildcat performance ?

Post by mcmbuilder »

Just resurrecting this question. Really wanting to build this boat but would like some feed back on performance before proceeding.

XSiV

Post by XSiV »

I can't really answer your question though I am curious about the answer as I have been toying with the idea of building an Al Wildcat in the future. Perhaps if you posted in the power boats or Hankison Designs section as opposed to the modification section you might have a better chance of an answer.

mcmbuilder

Post by mcmbuilder »

I have posted this in all of those forums. Yet to have an answer. In the plans section there is a photograph gallery for each of the plans. At one time there was an aluminum wildcat built by someone at a marina on a large lake out west somewhere. I tried to contact the owner several times to inquire about the performance. For some reason he would not talk at all about the boat at all. For some reason the photo no longer appears in the gallery section.

Return to “Design Modifications”