Building Frankenstein-Biscayne 18/Barrelback/Malahini

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

WarpathEngineering

Building Frankenstein-Biscayne 18/Barrelback/Malahini

Post by WarpathEngineering » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:13 am

Hello,

This is my first posting and I must say that I'm a little hesitant to be bringing up this subject. I've been milling around the Glen-l site for quite a while now and have finally gotten up the nerve to maybe try to build a boat. As with most big purchases, I am terrified to make a mistake because I know I will be the only chance I get. My head is spininning with all the different plans and I find myself liking this plan for that reason and that plan for this reason.

When I first started out I was enamored with the Zip with it's double cockpit, easy to work on outboard, gentle tumblehome and broad stern but being a rather large guy from a rather large family, the little Zip may be too small. My next attraction was the slightly larger Malahini and said maybe but.... I've always had a soft spot for the Chris Craft style of boat. That brings me to the Biscayne. I think I'm in love even though it's an inboard. I love the more vertical stem and the way the customer photos show it in a more nose down angle as it cuts through the water than the higher angle of the Malahini/Zip. My only complaint is the separation between the two cockpits with an engine compartment. That brought me to the Barrelback with its two up front cockpits and rear mount engine. The only problem, I'm not a big fan of the barrelback stern (I know, burn him at the stake!). So after what may have been an unneeded introduction here it goes.

In a nutshell, I'm looking for an upfront double cockpit either with a split front seat or two seperate but close cockpits, rear engine preferably an outboard and with a classic mahogany runabout's vertical stem and broad stern. Can the stem of a Biscayne/Barrelback be put onto a Malahini? Can the stern of a Biscayne (inboards) or Malahini (outboard) be put on a Barrelback? Can I replace the inboard for an outboard? Is there a more appropriate design that I haven't found? Should I stick with plasic models?

Thanks for your patience, time, understanding and advice.

Rick

Iggy

Re: Building Frankenstein-Biscayne 18/Barrelback/Malahini

Post by Iggy » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:04 am

Hi Rick. Don't worry about the questions, we've all had them. My first forum post was a lot longer than yours and I was looking for similar advice as to 'which' build will be best for my needs. I think I got really good advice and I am happy with my selection.

In my case, I also looked at the ZIP and TUFFY, both where 14' sizes and while they can do the job, the advice I got for my family was to go to the larger Malahini. Its 24" longer and 20" WIDER than a ZIP, which adds up to a whole lot more room for broad-shouldered fella's like myself.

You can make a Malahini into a double cockpit, just like you can with a ZIP. Its just a matter of a few more supports accross the deck at mid-ships. The seating layout is really up to you, the plans show the splashwell and fore-deck layouts, however whatever you do inbetween is up to you.

Now, the Biscayne is a gorgeous boat. If you have the physical space to build her, and don't mind spending a bit more time making her cold-moulded hull, and are handy enough to install and manage an inboard motor, the Biscayne's hull design is simply fantastic. Now, its narrower than a Malahini, and I would not know anything about converting it to an outboard myself.

As far as conversions, I only made 1 small modification (more transom angle) on mine, but otherwise kept to plans for my Malahini.
Ian (aka Iggy)
My Malahini Build

jamundsen

Post by jamundsen » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:44 pm

You can always make the deck look like the Chris Craft style and build the Malahini. That would give you the cockpit you want with the outboard. The Riveria would also give you the cockpit you want with the cold molded mahogny boat but it should stay an inboard. A cold molded boat isnt harder to build. It just takes longer.
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

WarpathEngineering

Post by WarpathEngineering » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:00 am

I like all these designs for various reasons. I like the seating arrangement of the Malahini/Barrelback, the stern of the Biscayne/Malahini, the bow of the Biscayne/Barrelback and the outboard engine of the Malahini. Is it possible to wrap all of these design items into one boat?

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:04 pm

Ah yes... the Frankenstein boat! You won't like my answer, but it's no. You really can't "combine" designs. The Biscayne & Barrelback both have central motors and we don't recommend changing the location. See our article that goes into detail as to why: http://www.glen-l.com/changing-plans/.

Changing the stem on any boat would not be recommended. Sorry Dr. Frankenstein... :D Looks like you may have to build all three boats!

kens

Post by kens » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:13 pm

Do the utility version of Monaco and you can effectively lay out the cockpit to suit.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

WarpathEngineering

Post by WarpathEngineering » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:21 pm

Thanks for the advice. After much thought I think I'm going to try my hand a the Barrelback 19. It has the seating arrangement I like the best. Is there an easy way to transform the aft part of the boat to look like the Biscayne or should I shell out for both sets of plans and make a hybrid?

billy c

Post by billy c » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:55 pm

...things were going well for you til the last sentence :lol:
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

WarpathEngineering

Post by WarpathEngineering » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:55 am

Was it the word Hybrid maybe? That's ok. My wife made the final decision last night. She likes the Biscayne so I guess it's the Biscayne. Thanks again everyone for your imput. I'm sure you'll be hearing from me again and that may not be a good thing.

billy c

Post by billy c » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:11 am

WarpathEngineering wrote:Was it the word Hybrid maybe?
:roll: :lol: :lol:
WarpathEngineering wrote: My wife made the final decision last night. She likes the Biscayne so I guess it's the Biscayne.
...your wife did you a great favor!
check out Bob Perkins Biscayne here-
http://biscayne22.shutterfly.com/
had a great day out on the water last year in his Biscayne. Beautiful classic lines to that boat. handles real well and is quite the looker too!
-Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

WarpathEngineering

Post by WarpathEngineering » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:11 am

I have to say as a complete novice and after having many hours looking at the customer photos on this site, Bob's boat is the standard by which all others are measured. It's spectacular and I would be hard pressed to find anything that I would change (OK maybe the length so it would fit in my garage). I applaud his craftsmanship.

Miss Terese

Post by Miss Terese » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:11 pm

I started the Biscayne-18 about a year ago. It has a slight stretch of 5-1/2" to accomodate a salvaged Marine Power K350 from an old Chris Craft Roamer. We're getting the bottom finished and should be turing it over around the first of the year or so. I will be modifying the deck to more of a utility style open rear area for better access to the children, but will be keeping a narrow deck separation between the front and rear area just ahead of the engine. I figure I can always go back and complete the engine cover per the design once the little ones are grown or moved out.....Love the long narrow look of the Biscayne, the more lower angle of the motor than the BB and the central motor location should allow for better performance as it's most similar to the current traditional ski boat layout.

WarpathEngineering

Post by WarpathEngineering » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:24 am

Miss Terese wrote:I started the Biscayne-18 about a year ago. It has a slight stretch of 5-1/2" to accomodate a salvaged Marine Power K350 from an old Chris Craft Roamer. We're getting the bottom finished and should be turing it over around the first of the year or so. I will be modifying the deck to more of a utility style open rear area for better access to the children, but will be keeping a narrow deck separation between the front and rear area just ahead of the engine. I figure I can always go back and complete the engine cover per the design once the little ones are grown or moved out.....Love the long narrow look of the Biscayne, the more lower angle of the motor than the BB and the central motor location should allow for better performance as it's most similar to the current traditional ski boat layout.
Please post pics if you have time. I'd love to see it! The more the better.

Have you planned out the engine cover enough to know if you will have enough clearance around the 350 in that hull? I'm looking at using one of the Pontiac engine blocks I have laying around the house and am concerned with the size of the engine vs the size of the hull especially since the plans call for a 4-v6 sized engine.

frost314

Post by frost314 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:43 am

WarpathEngineering wrote:Hello,

This is my first posting and I must say that I'm a little hesitant to be bringing up this subject. I've been milling around the Glen-l site for quite a while now and have finally gotten up the nerve to maybe try to build a boat. As with most big purchases, I am terrified to make a mistake because I know I will be the only chance I get. My head is spininning with all the different plans and I find myself liking this plan for that reason and that plan for this reason.

When I first started out I was enamored with the Zip with it's double cockpit, easy to work on outboard, gentle tumblehome and broad stern but being a rather large guy from a rather large family, the little Zip may be too small. My next attraction was the slightly larger Malahini and said maybe but.... I've always had a soft spot for the Chris Craft style of boat. That brings me to the Biscayne. I think I'm in love even though it's an inboard. I love the more vertical stem and the way the customer photos show it in a more nose down angle as it cuts through the water than the higher angle of the Malahini/Zip. My only complaint is the separation between the two cockpits with an engine compartment. That brought me to the Barrelback with its two up front cockpits and rear mount engine. The only problem, I'm not a big fan of the barrelback stern (I know, burn him at the stake!). So after what may have been an unneeded introduction here it goes.

In a nutshell, I'm looking for an upfront double cockpit either with a split front seat or two seperate but close cockpits, rear engine preferably an outboard and with a classic mahogany runabout's vertical stem and broad stern. Can the stem of a Biscayne/Barrelback be put onto a Malahini? Can the stern of a Biscayne (inboards) or Malahini (outboard) be put on a Barrelback? Can I replace the inboard for an outboard? Is there a more appropriate design that I haven't found? Should I stick with plasic models?

Thanks for your patience, time, understanding and advice.

Rick

Rick,

you have basicly stated my conundrum exactly.

I want a Biscayne stem with a malahini outboard stern. I am stuck. I do not want to go the inboard route.

I have found the Geronimo to be the closest outboard with a stem similar to the biscayne

Return to “Design Modifications”