Modifying Outrage

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Mike Sea

Modifying Outrage

Post by Mike Sea »

I have been wanting to build a small 14 ft boat runabout similar to Tuffy but with a Deep Vee bottom. The problem is no one makes plans for this style of boat and to be truthful I don't think I can design it myself. Glen L does make the Outrage the style of boat I want only it is to big, the plans say you can shorten the boat by 10% but the width should stay the same. A short but wide Outrage is not the boat I want to build.
The question is if you reduce the Outrage plans by 84% will you get a boat with the same characteristic and a similar ride, as the bigger Outrage?
The finished boat would be 13ft 11 in long, 5ft 11 in wide, 26 in deep, with a cockpit size of 4ft 6 in wide x 4ft 5 in long and the weigh about 350 lbs. The deck would be changed similar to Rod MacIntosh's Tuffy in the Archives section. I plan to power this boat with a 50 hp Merc 500 short shaft motor.

jprice

Re: Modifying Outrage

Post by jprice »

Boat building is both an art and a science.
I left the science part up to Mr. Witt, and I'm just doing the art part. :wink:

I know modifying the beam can be done and has been done, but the general consensus is to not do it, unless you really know what you're doing.
http://www.glen-l.com/designs/hankinson ... plans.html

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Mike,

Reducing the Outrage by 84% overall and achieving a similar performing hull really can't be answered. We wouldn't recommend it, however. A boat isn't drawn, it's designed so that all the lines are "fair". See our article on changing plans:
http://www.glen-l.com/changing-plans/

We've had folks drastically change our plans and have great results. My guess is that we don't hear from the ones that failed...

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I'm scaling a boat up 6%. If add 6% to the length, 6% to the beam and 6% to the depth, the boat is 20% larger. That is a lot of change. My boat has several variations that are larger and smaller. So, I feel pretty good. Hope I'm right.

16% overall is a long way.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Design Modifications”