Would an inboard squirt be possible?

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Davidrd

Would an inboard squirt be possible?

Post by Davidrd » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:18 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm planning to build a squirt over this winter and I have been contemplating the idea of making it an inboard using a small engine like a motorcycle engine. I imagine the engine would sit centered or a bit forward on the craft and the seats would be set at the rear. However I don't know all the finer details of inboard crafts, for instance, would the Squirts small size make getting the proper angle on the prop shaft too difficult? Has any one ever attempted this or even thought abut it? Ultimately I would just want to know if its possible or if I'm just crazy before I start the numerous hours of research. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!! :D

Thank you!
If its got a motor, chances are I like it!

jenko

Re: Would an inboard squirt be possible?

Post by jenko » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:18 pm

Davidrd

Post by Davidrd » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:39 pm

I must say if I had the money for an engine like that I'd give the old college try, but seeing as that I'm in college for one more year I don't have any money lol. But those are some awesome engines though :wink:
If its got a motor, chances are I like it!

jenko

Post by jenko » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:01 am

Vdrive and subaru engine would work, remember you have to keep the weight at the stern as thats how the boat was designed

fergal butler

Post by fergal butler » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:11 am

If money is a bit tight stick with the outboard it will give you a lot more room in the boat and you could pick up a cheep one if you hunt around where with an inboard you will have to buy all the things that go with it like gearbox,prop shaft,prop,stuffing box,strut and rudder these are not cheep :shock: but with an outboard they come as one package :D

driver06

Post by driver06 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:56 pm

Hello,
I know this is an old post, but have thought about this and wonder if the one of the smaller engine set ups from a jetski would do the job. Any comments anyone?
John.

Return to “Design Modifications”