Stepped Bolero Hull?

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

MrBaz

Stepped Bolero Hull?

Post by MrBaz » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:57 am

I'm really liking the Bolero design. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find many boats that have been boat in the past 10 years.

The plan is to modify the design to add in at least one step to the hull. 24' hull should be capable of one to two steps.

I'm also wanting to build a plug/mold so the hull can be 100% fiberglass. This would also aid in the construction of the step(s) in the hull.

Thoughts?

galamb

Re: Stepped Bolero Hull?

Post by galamb » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:00 pm

I'm not trying to be rude or ignorant here but -

I'm thinking if you want to take a design that was engineered to be built with plywood and switch to fiberglass (2 to 3 times the weight) AND mess with the hull itself by adding a step, you should enlist the talents of a Marine Engineer.

I certainly wouldn't undertake that much modification based on the opinions of a bunch of hobby builders, who generally follow the plans as engineered by the designer, making nothing more than non-structural cosmetic changes, and trust my life with it once it was launched.

Could you achieve what you want? Almost certainly. Would it resemble the Bolero in any "technical sense", probably not.
Graham

Yes, Plywood is "real" wood :)

A "professional" is someone who gets paid for their work - it doesn't necessarily mean they are good at it :)

MrBaz

Post by MrBaz » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:42 am

galamb wrote:I'm not trying to be rude or ignorant here but -

I'm thinking if you want to take a design that was engineered to be built with plywood and switch to fiberglass (2 to 3 times the weight) AND mess with the hull itself by adding a step, you should enlist the talents of a Marine Engineer.

I certainly wouldn't undertake that much modification based on the opinions of a bunch of hobby builders, who generally follow the plans as engineered by the designer, making nothing more than non-structural cosmetic changes, and trust my life with it once it was launched.

Could you achieve what you want? Almost certainly. Would it resemble the Bolero in any "technical sense", probably not.
No worries. The design as far as the straight up lines of the boat go are completely separate from the materials used to build it. The lines will work with any building technique. Wood, fiber, whatever. Location of the stringers, framing, bulkheads ,etc are going to stay the same but be modified for purely composite construction. Again, nothing really changing here.

A properly hand-laid glassed hull will not weigh 2-3 times as much. The key here being a hand-laid hull, not your cheapo chop-gun sprayed hull with no other composite structural reinforcement. Maybe 20% more if that. Plus, my resale value is going to hold WAY better and my maintenance is going to be minimal over a very long time span. It maybe more expensive going all-glass compared to plywood, but I'll also be using vinyl ester resin, not epoxy; so I'll be saving money there. Also, my maintenance costs over a good period will be VERY minimal compared to the constant maintenance of a wood cored boat.

Maybe I am getting a little over the edge with incorporating a step. Maybe I should just keep with the base design and go from there.

Mojo

Post by Mojo » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:21 pm

Hi Mr Baz,
For a one off build there are easier and cheaper ways to build the boat without needing a mold. I would also personally avoid building from solid fibreglass. Fiberglass is a fair way denser then ply. That's a lot of extra weight, even the 20% increase you quoted would significantly change the performance of the boat. It also means higher fuel costs, bigger trailer and bigger engine.

Many folk here build from ply and then put a single layer of fiberglass over the top. You'll get the durability benefits of fiberglass, but benefits of building from ply. This option is still going to add weight, although you could presumably use thinner ply

Another option would be to pre-make fiberglass / foam core panels and then build the boat from this in the same manner you would with ply. This will work out lighter then a ply boat. You could make the panels up yourself or buy them pre-made. http://www.atlcomposites.com.au/atl_com ... ite_panels

As has been said, if you are making structural changes to the design it will be worthwhile getting professional advice. There's a lot of cost and time in building a boat like this. Errors in the design can at best have embarrassing consequences, at worst be fatal.

The other thing to consider, if you are building for fun and the experience, then go for it. If you are building to have a boat then for reasons of time, money and resale you are much better off buying a decent second hand boat.

Have fun.

Cheers
Mojo

jenko

Post by jenko » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:48 am

hmm
Last edited by jenko on Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrBaz

Post by MrBaz » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:10 pm

Mojo wrote:Hi Mr Baz,
For a one off build there are easier and cheaper ways to build the boat without needing a mold. I would also personally avoid building from solid fibreglass. Fiberglass is a fair way denser then ply. That's a lot of extra weight, even the 20% increase you quoted would significantly change the performance of the boat. It also means higher fuel costs, bigger trailer and bigger engine.

Many folk here build from ply and then put a single layer of fiberglass over the top. You'll get the durability benefits of fiberglass, but benefits of building from ply. This option is still going to add weight, although you could presumably use thinner ply

Another option would be to pre-make fiberglass / foam core panels and then build the boat from this in the same manner you would with ply. This will work out lighter then a ply boat. You could make the panels up yourself or buy them pre-made. http://www.atlcomposites.com.au/atl_com ... ite_panels

As has been said, if you are making structural changes to the design it will be worthwhile getting professional advice. There's a lot of cost and time in building a boat like this. Errors in the design can at best have embarrassing consequences, at worst be fatal.

The other thing to consider, if you are building for fun and the experience, then go for it. If you are building to have a boat then for reasons of time, money and resale you are much better off buying a decent second hand boat.

Have fun.

Cheers
Mojo
I'm wanting to build it using the mold method for many different reasons. I'm not wanting to simply build a boat using wood just so it is cheap and quick to build.

Return to “Design Modifications”