Jet Squirt in the Med.

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

driver06

Jet Squirt in the Med.

Post by driver06 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:15 am

Hello,

I am hoping to build a Squirt for use on the Mediterranean. I have read the forums and newsletters and you seem to be a bunch of very knowledgeable and helpful guys out there. I will have to reduce the length by 5 or 10% due to space restrictions and perhaps the beam by 5%. My wife and I are relatively slender. I have some questions and would welcome your comments

1) I would like to install a Jetski engine, but to have any chance of getting it in, I will have to move the cockpit well forward. Would that work?

2) The boat will be sometimes used in shallow water (mud and stones). Please let me know if this will give me problems. I will install a grate over the intake.

3) I appreciate if the sea is choppy or even rough, it will be not possible to go fast, but will the jetski unit cavitate or perform badly compared to an outboard while going slowly in waves?

All replies gratefully received, thanks.

jprice

Re: Jet Squirt in the Med.

Post by jprice » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:38 pm

Before the boat I'm building now, I had a 14' seadoo jetboat. Was painful to ride in heavy chop, and yes, it did cavitate quite a bit.

I don't know how rough things get in the Mediterranean, but a small boat in rough chop makes for a not so enjoyable day on the water.

Regarding the change in the beam dimension, Glen-L recommends against that. Apparently it can change the handling properties of the boat. Also, from what I've read, long skinny boats ride a lot better than short wide boats.
IMO, shortening and widening the squirt wouldn't be a good idea.

driver06

Post by driver06 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:48 pm

Thanks for the comments, I think I will stick with an outboard. It will make a much easier job of the build although I have great admiration for those of you guys who put so much effort and expertise in developing something special.

Mojo

Post by Mojo » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:04 pm

With the engine weight forward and then the passenger weight also forward it will likely be too heavy in the bow.

Cheers
Mojo

Return to “Design Modifications”