Bo-jest changes

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

chugalug

Bo-jest changes

Postby chugalug » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:22 pm

:roll: I wanted to make some changes on my Bo-jest build. Raise pilothouse 9 " ,raise cabin roof a few inches ,extend windshield forward a few inches,extend roof all the way aft,lower floor cockpit to same level as pilothouse, etc. doable?? :roll:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

jcallends

Re: Bo-jest changes

Postby jcallends » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:32 am

Most above water changes are doable, it's when you start tampering with the hull that you get into trouble.

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:18 am

chugslug,

These changes are fine...

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:35 pm

:D Might have to raise bulwark as well .Don't want it to look goofy.I'm 6'3" and need the headroom. Didn't want to be Quasimodo .I know I'm getting ahead of myself but would a bead and cove cedar roof be feasible?

Gayle Brantuk

Postby Gayle Brantuk » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:57 pm

Yes, that would work. Like the Quasimodo comment!

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:43 pm

:D Also was kinda curious-On the Bo-Jest plan.it calls out the spacing for the motor mounts;If I am going with the outboard option does that mean I can vary the spacing or add some extra for floor support??Plans aren't clear to me on that. don't want to omit those anyway.just wondered about spacing. :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:41 am

Motor stringers usually are mated to the frames. Changing the spacing will affect interface with all the frames. Why not just scab pieces between the frames at the same level as the stringers to mount the flooring to?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:51 am

:D I know that the motor stringers are usually used on the build form with frames mounted on.The Bo-jest plans didn't have that.just installing motor stringers after flip.they are only 6 or7 ft. long.would beef up floor supports to have them in,I know.Just wondered about spacing from side -to -side .Was also going to extend them to the stern so I can tie into the motor mounts and help support the rear decking.

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:40 pm

:D Was hoping it was ok to work with red cedar.Needed to put carling on hull.3/4 cedar was out of question so laminated it with multiple pieces of 1/4.now just waiting for epoxy to cure .plan on using a lot of cedar for interior.

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:17 pm

chugalug wrote::D Was hoping it was ok to work with red cedar.Needed to put carling on hull.3/4 cedar was out of question so laminated it with multiple pieces of 1/4.now just waiting for epoxy to cure .plan on using a lot of cedar for interior.

Cedar has the rot resistance but is soft and not as strong as some of the other red woods. It will be fine for mill work inside the boat not to sure how it would hold up structurally. :?
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:13 pm

:D knew that cedar wasn't as strong as some lumber so hopefully 3-1/2 inches wide strips laminated to full3/4 inch thick will work for carlings cabin clamp will probably be laminations of 1/4 ply wider yet.maybe a thin last layer of cedar.tho maybe just a trim piece on the top. :D

Lowka53

Postby Lowka53 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:49 pm

chugalug wrote::D knew that cedar wasn't as strong as some lumber so hopefully 3-1/2 inches wide strips laminated to full3/4 inch thick will work for carlings cabin clamp will probably be laminations of 1/4 ply wider yet.maybe a thin last layer of cedar.tho maybe just a trim piece on the top. :D

sounds good to me remember red cedar does have a lingering odor to it. so you will need to seal it
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:55 am

I cut little notches-each frame to support carling too,so every32-1/2 inch,its supporting carling.there will be varnish on everything eventually.I could have used spuce,I suppose but that smells like the pine tree in the park.(all the dogs do their #'s on it :lol: )suppose I could finish out insides like country pine(paint-sand corners then stain for that distressed look)

chugalug

Postby chugalug » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:52 pm

:D Tried to bend and laminate cabin clamp in a round shape-didn't work out so put in angled side pieces(I liked the way the cabin was built on "Maddy Sue"in Woodenboat mag.Might be similar.)Was wondering if the cabin sides are easier to put on before bulwarks or after? :roll: Am just about ready to put decking on.Have also been working on floor supports using 2x6cedar for extra support

Reado

Postby Reado » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:27 pm

I'm following your build closely. It sounds like we are at similar stages on the Bo-Jest. I laminated up the forward cabin clamps with 7 layers of ply. I actually attached 2 by 4 supports right to the deck and clamped the laminations to the 2 by 4's. Worked like a charm. I have some pics on iPad. I'll see if I can get them onto the forum.

Return to “Design Modifications”