Mohogany Design Modifications

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Bill Edmundson

Mohogany Design Modifications

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:30 pm

We repeatedly get two question. 1. Can I use an I/O drive? 2. Can I open it up like a bow rider.

Normally, the answer is no.

I think, I may have found an answer. What about modifying a Ski Bass? It's designed for outboard or I/O and is deep vee. The deck could be modified to several different configuration. You can put mahogany veneer on just about anything.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

billy c

Re: Mohogany Design Modifications

Post by billy c » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:47 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:We repeatedly get two question. 1. Can I use an I/O drive? 2. Can I open it up like a bow rider.

Normally, the answer is no.

I think, I may have found an answer. What about modifying a Ski Bass? It's designed for outboard or I/O and is deep vee. The deck could be modified to several different configuration. You can put mahogany veneer on just about anything.

Bill
just to add, you can build them as a utility
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:43 pm

That's a great idea, Bill. I often recommend the Bolero as well...

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:24 pm

Gayle

The other day the question came up about significant mods to the Ski King, I went to look at it. Then I looked at the Ski Tow. I had never looked at the Ski Bass. When I did, I thought that will work. Modify the deck and dress it out. It would be mostly cosmetic changes without messing with the hull design or balance.

At 175hp it should easily run between 40 & 45 mph.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:35 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote: You can put mahogany veneer on just about anything.

Bill
I agree i think you could do this to any build to give your build a vintage look to it. We are not building pure lap sided builds the veneer is all for looks so any build that you would normally paint could be veneered but it will be heaver than the original unless adjustments are made on the plywood sheeting. But before you do this think about what you are going to use the build for, if it going to be used to just cruise around and pull skiers then go for it if it is to be a work boat I would stick to paint :shock: it is much easier to repair if damaged. But lets face it we all seem to have a love for the Look of mahogany sides and deck :wink: 8)
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

Return to “Design Modifications”