Birth layouts and considerations

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

aero_dan

Birth layouts and considerations

Post by aero_dan » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:51 pm

At the risk of sounding like a "Land Boy", I was wondering why the most common birth layout in a bow birth, is to have you laying feet forward. :oops: Is there a reason for this, or could it be reverse-repositioned with your heads forward (feet aft)? I mean, if it is a matter of the angle of tilt to the birth, that could be just as easy to adjust, and maybe even easier to tilt your bunk so the head is higher in the front. And if it is a case of the pillow, there are a couple of answers I can think of right off. And since I would not put a lew, oops, head in the bedroom compartment, that is not an issue. (and I may be a bit "daft", but I can't see this being an issue either.) And as I think about it, Ken Hankinson drew the Slot Machine and the Wild Cat Cuddy both with a side birth. So what is the tradition, myth, or superstition? Enquiring minds want to know. I hope this doesn't keep anybody else up at night. :lol:
Better, faster, cheaper. Only ever found 2 of the 3! (But still lookin.)
So many boats, ...so little time.

chugalug

Re: Birth layouts and considerations

Post by chugalug » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:12 pm

:D Your Birth or Berth as its called,I'm not wild about having the head in the same room as the berth either.(midnight runs to the can would be interesting if not right out funky for all involved.)Do you sleep with head toward bow ,then slither down and out or do you sleep toes toward bow ,then do half somersault to get out.who knows,my head will have it's own room.maybe even ventilation stack.who knows how I will sleep since I'm a traveler.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

benpetre

Post by benpetre » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:09 pm

bow berths are V shaped by nessecity to match the shape of the bow. thus one side of the berth is much wider than the other. especially when there are 2 people sharing the berth, it is more comfortable for your little feet to be tucked into the small end as opposed to two heads, shoulders, arms etc. thus the feet go forward (small end of the bunk) and heads face toward the stern
http://drpetre.com

Building the barrel back 19 ever so slowly.

Lowka53

Post by Lowka53 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:20 pm

benpetre wrote:bow berths are V shaped by nessecity to match the shape of the bow. thus one side of the berth is much wider than the other. especially when there are 2 people sharing the berth, it is more comfortable for your little feet to be tucked into the small end as opposed to two heads, shoulders, arms etc. thus the feet go forward (small end of the bunk) and heads face toward the stern
This is the way it is unless you build a big boat mine calls for a queen-size forward bed head orientation to the bow. but there is plenty of room for this at 14ft wth
Don't be afraid to attempt anything. You might surprise your self in the attempt.
http://www.facebook.com/Home.Made.Boat.Building
Bon Voyage-"Wild Flower" 40' house boat being built
14' Mr John-being built
32' Supper Huck-in design

Rod H

SunFun

Post by SunFun » Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:54 pm

benpetre wrote:bow berths are V shaped by nessecity to match the shape of the bow. thus one side of the berth is much wider than the other. especially when there are 2 people sharing the berth, it is more comfortable for your little feet to be tucked into the small end as opposed to two heads, shoulders, arms etc. thus the feet go forward (small end of the bunk) and heads face toward the stern
This becomes an issue if you beach your boat for the night. We beach about 1/2 the time around here so we just sleep close together :wink: with our heads up front. In the picture, we are just parked on a weekday afternoon, but on weekends you have boats on each side and you need to pull up a bit father onto the sand to stay there all night. The angle would be way too steeo to have your head towards the back.

Scott
Attachments
IMG_20120801_155123.jpg

raymacke

Post by raymacke » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:41 pm

bow berths are V shaped by necessity to match the shape of the bow. thus one side of the berth is much wider than the other. especially when there are 2 people sharing the berth, it is more comfortable for your little feet to be tucked into the small end as opposed to two heads, shoulders, arms etc. thus the feet go forward (small end of the bunk) and heads face toward the stern
This fact of life sometimes seems to be totally ignored by factory boat builders. Have a friend that owned a 29' performance boat (cigarette style cuddy) with two huge V8s and I/Os. At rest this hull squatted terribly. Was this taken into account when adding the berth platform? NAAA - Who cares! With toes in the pointy end, even when floating, their heads were probably 4" lower than their feet. A very uncomfortable way to sleep. Although they disliked it they had to spin around and put their upper torso in the very tight forward space. Every time they overnighted they bitterly complained about the situation.
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:50 pm

:D The Bo-jest berth is wide enough-I might be able to sleep sideways :D fill in the walk in hole-one big passion pit :lol:
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

aero_dan

Post by aero_dan » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:56 pm

And that is why I am looking forward to the Goliath build I am starting...
Better, faster, cheaper. Only ever found 2 of the 3! (But still lookin.)
So many boats, ...so little time.

Return to “Design Modifications”