Malahini Deep Vee

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

18shamic

Malahini Deep Vee

Post by 18shamic » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:00 am

Hi,

My name is Michael Shade, and I am going to be building a boat Cleveland. I was planning to use the boat I build almost every day on Lake Erie, and I was specifically looking for the classic runabout design. I am planning to build the Malahini, except the hull shape is not suitable for the changing weather conditions and large waves on lake Erie. Because of this I was planning on modifying it so that it has a Deep Vee and I know its not recommended, and i know it would be a lot of work, but it is very necessary. I am building this with an engineer, and he might not be a naval architect, but he will prevent me from doing anything too stupid. Has anyone done this before?

Thanks for any help!

Michael Shade

neel thompson

Re: Malahini Deep Vee

Post by neel thompson » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:02 pm

Take a look at Bob Smith's thread on this forum called "The Epiphany". He took a 1975 Century deep v inboard boat and cut the entire bottom off at, or slightly above, the waterline and then built a modified Glen-L Riviera from the waterline up!! It is a beautiful boat. Maybe you could find a deep v hull around 17' long with outboard power, and do the same as Bob, only build it up from the waterline as a Malahini. That way it would be better suited for rougher water. If you come to the Glen-L Gathering in Chattanooga in September, I am sure Bob will be there with his boat and be willing to bend your ear on how he did it. It is really a "work of art".... Best of luck.....Neel

18shamic

Post by 18shamic » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:40 am

Wow.....I have never heard of Bob's Boat Build, but I will look into it, right now i am trying to find a price range of how much the donor boat would cost. I think I will PM Bob and find more information.

Thanks,
Michael Shade

18shamic

Post by 18shamic » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:51 am

Now, after measuring my garage for a third time, I found that there is a little extra space, ad i might be able to squeeze a Bonzana into the space. I might make a Roustabout/Bonzana crossover, as it would be easier, because of the similar frame spacing and the same length.

Thanks for the help!
Michael Shade

Return to “Design Modifications”