Barrel Zip

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Bill Edmundson

Re: Barrel Zip

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue May 09, 2017 11:07 am

Todd

There is also a Teleseminar that Gayle and I did in 2009 that works with the link. http://www.glen-l.com/teleseminars/

It may bore you. It was certainly my first.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

gap998

Postby gap998 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:38 pm

Hello Todd,

The Riva Ariston & the Tahoe 23 are very similar, both in size & style; virtually the only difference being the barrel stern & lack of rumble seat at the rear.

My original motivation was the Riva Tritone - Effectively a scaled up Ariston with a cuddy cabin under the bows (or more accurately the Ariston is a shrunken Tritone minus the cabin! :lol: ). I went though pretty much the same thought process as you and settled (initially) on modifying the Tahoe. Take a look at my thread "Tahoe-verniter" for an what a barrelback Tahoe would look like - I have increased the freeboard to create room for a cabin and a deeper cockpit but the overall look is the same.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=28540&p=174511&hilit=tahoe+overniter#p174511

I would suggest you go with the Tahoe 23 plans and study the many Barrelback builds on this forum & the Glen-L website for a comparison of how the stern detail differs. I'm sure that provided you leave the waterline unchanged, rounding over the tops of Transom & rear 2 or 3 frames would be fairly straightforward and cause no dynamic issues.

Good luck!
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Wed May 10, 2017 7:01 am

Thanks Gary, for sharing that. I am starting to understand why you and Roberta recommend the Tahoe. What CAD software are you using to make your drawings?

gap998

Postby gap998 » Sun May 14, 2017 7:58 am

Autodesk Inventor 2017 - I've got a redundant licence from a previous employer, but there are instructions on Youtube on how to get it for free - not strictly legit', but as long as you're only using it for personal "educational" use and not commercially, I don't think anyone is going to get too bent out of shape.
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

Return to “Design Modifications”