Barrel Zip

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

gap998

Barrel Zip

Postby gap998 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:15 am

Hello,

I originallt posted this on my new member post but Im posting it here also.

I've done some rough CAD modeling of my proposed Zip to check the proportions, the mod is similar to Luke Raymond's electric Zip, but keeping the standard length & conventional outboard power (all-be-it a long shaft). I've gone for a 50/60s look (OK I've blatantly copied the Aquarama look), and the hull remains unchanged below the waterline.

I'd appreciate comments & cautions on my design

Cheers
Gary:-
Zip Special.jpg

Zip Special Rr.jpg
Attachments
Zip Special SE.jpg
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

chugalug

Re: Barrel Zip

Postby chugalug » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:32 am

If you're going for 50's to 60's look-put motor on from same era.
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

gap998

Postby gap998 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:56 am

I will if I can find one Chug', but decent ones are like hen's teeth in the UK.
Gary

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

rbrandenstein

Postby rbrandenstein » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:00 am

Looks good, but you might have issues bending the plywood that severely.
I believe the Zip uses 1/4" plywood on the side like my Malahini. I used Meranti and the plywood cracked on one side when forcing it to the curve. Your design looks to have a bit more than the Malahini.

gap998

Postby gap998 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:23 am

Yes - I was worried about that. I've been watching Joshua Burks's build on Youtube (not sure if he's a member here) & he popped a panel on his Standard Zip. I was thinking I could maybe use 2 layers of 1/8" in this area or maybe cold-mould the rear sides?

On the motor front I was thinking of Moulding a look-a-like cowl for a later model motor.
Gary

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:47 pm

Gary,

Looks real nice. as for the curve of the back, if you go with cold molding, you'll need additional structure in that area to glue the boards to. I used boiling water on my front skins on the bottom and pre-bent them before gluing up later. The pre-bending did the trick and I got them to conform just fine. They are 3/8" (9mm) thick.

I also considered trying to figure out a way to modify the cowling on a modern engine. I'd be disinclined to do that on a new engine cover because of the risk of failure. But you might be able to get an extra older cover that fits that you can then experiment on. There are photos out there of efforts by other builders. Some look pretty good.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

gap998

Postby gap998 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:53 am

Thanks Carl,

I guess that must have been how Luke Raymond did it as his curve is pretty tight. Although I suppose he had more distance between frames due to the stretch. I'm planning to modify the Sheer area of frame 1 as well as the transom so the curve is less sudden. When I get my plans I'll model it up properly & get the curve as smooth as possible.

Using a spare cover is a good idea - I could then take a grp moulding & try a few different shapes. I guess the trick is getting it to look like you've not just stuck an old cover on a new engine.

Regards

Gary
Last edited by gap998 on Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

dmac

Postby dmac » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:50 am

This much is certain- If you can successfully build your Zip as you've rendered it, it will be gorgeous! Great looking take on the Zip!

gap998

Postby gap998 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:14 am

Thanks dmac - Maybe I'll call it "Zip-arama" :lol:
Gary

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:23 am

I think if you added two or three battens in the aft section where the typical 1/4" plywood side planking is attached, using 1/8" plywood would work out fine when substituting two 1/8" pieces for the one 1/4" plank. Without the extra battens, the 1/8" ply may not hold it's shape and the contour could be off. Good luck!!

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:16 pm

Roberta is right. You will have to go to cold mold aft to get that much curve. It's not that hard. But, 1/4" sheet ply won't do that.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

gap998

Postby gap998 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:02 pm

Good advice from 2 people who know a thing or two about Zips & curvy boats! Thanks both, sounds like the way to go, (although there's an image in my mind of a future me yelling expletives at a split panel of soaking wet 1/4" first) :wink:
Gary

Andy Garrett

Postby Andy Garrett » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:56 am

I love the barrel idea! The Rebel has a similar shape in the rear, and that's why I like that design. That's also why I like the Feathercraft Vagabond series and continue to hunt for a cheap one that I can fix up.

As a matter of exploration, and to add to the educational content here on the forums, I think this project is a must!

Keep us informed with details and lots of photos.
Andy Garrett

Perhaps the slowest Zip build in Glen-L history...

gap998

Postby gap998 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:03 pm

Thanks Andy,

I did consider the Rebel as I my boat/boats will get some coastal use, but the sheer & stem lines are a bit too sharp & modern looking for what I want. Sweet looking boat though.
Gary

gap998

Postby gap998 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:18 pm

Just Googled Feathercraft Vagabond Andy; OOOf! Wish I could TIG Weld - A polished aluminium (correct spelling :wink: ) Zip would be "The dog's 'nads" as we say in Wales!

Feathercraft Vagabond.jpg
Feathercraft Vagabond.jpg (28.01 KiB) Viewed 2374 times
Gary

Return to “Design Modifications”