Miss Thunder... Or maybe Thunderegg?

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

gap998

Miss Thunder... Or maybe Thunderegg?

Post by gap998 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:32 pm

I have really got to get my house fixed up so I can start my build & stop dreaming up new boat ideas! : -

Anybody think something like this could be done on a Miss Chris hull & what kind of chop could it handle?
Thunderchick-at-West-Shore-Cafe.jpg
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

Roberta

Re: Miss Thunder... Or maybe Thunderegg?

Post by Roberta » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:03 pm

It could be done on the Miss Chris. I'm sure it would handle chop well. Just remember these old designs are fairly flat bottom and lower speeds would be prudent in any chop or rollers.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

gap998

Post by gap998 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:25 pm

If it ever gets built, it'll probably spend most of it's life on the canals anyway... but maybe the odd trip across the Bristol Channel, some coastal hopping or even trailer it down to the Med'.

Boat No. 4 perhaps :lol:
Gary

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

gap998

Post by gap998 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:02 pm

Found this link on another thread, originally posted by Dave Grason showing the restoration of a modified Chriscraft triple cockpit runabout which is very close in concept albeit to an earlier style.

http://www.mbbw.com/WIP/1928%20Sedan%2026.htm
Gary

Dave Grason

Post by Dave Grason » Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:14 am

gap998 wrote:Found this link on another thread, originally posted by Dave Grason
:lol: As I was reading down this thread, I was JUST about to post that link again because you and I are thinking on the same wavelength. As far as I'm concerned, the Miss Chris hull would be a wonderful platform for an amazing variety of ideas, including a great gentleman's racer.

I LOVE the boat you found!!!! WOW!
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

gap998

Post by gap998 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:44 am

:lol:
Yeah, she's a real beauty, she's called Thunderchick (inspired by Thunderbird but smaller - love it!), moored at Lake Tahoe -36' long. If you could stretch a 28' Miss Chris 10%, I recon the proportions would be about right.

I was also thinking of something similar based on a Bolero or Bandido hull for an offshore version.

Gotta start living healthier so I live long enough to build 'em all! :lol:
Gary

Return to “Design Modifications”