Side Planking, Tunnel Sides, Decking & Cowl.

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

weasel

Side Planking, Tunnel Sides, Decking & Cowl.

Postby weasel » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:37 pm

I am making this Tunnel might and I have had a few questions answered by some of the builders on here. It's great help!

I can't get 1/8" marine plywood around here. I don't see a problem with making these parts (Tunnel sides, Side planking, Decking & Cowls) out of 1/4" Marine plywood? It will just make the boat a touch heavier correct?

Bill Edmundson

Re: Side Planking, Tunnel Sides, Decking & Cowl.

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:51 pm

You didn't tell us where around here is. Please add your location to your profile.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

weasel

Postby weasel » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:05 pm

I did a little profile update now.

I have been asking a lot of questions on here, because I am a greenhorn boat builder and do need some insight :lol: .

gap998

Postby gap998 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:57 am

Welcome Weasel - Ask away; lots of greenhorns here and I have learned more from answers to other people's questions than my own. If it's been answered before, someone will usually post a link to that thread.
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:51 am

I could be wrong here and if I am, I apologize now. But I believe that 1/4 thick plywood would work. The plans call for 1/8 ply because it's a race boat and so, it's designed to keep weight to a minimum. There would be a certain trade-off in that a boat built of 1/4 ply would be tougher and stronger but it would also be heavier. Heavy is not so good on a tunnel hull. It needs to be kept light so that it can get up and ride on that cushion of air that a tunnel hull is supposed to ride on.
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

jamundsen

Postby jamundsen » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:22 pm

5 mm will work also. Try World Panel
John Amundsen
Monte Carlo
Lakeland,Fl

Work tends to get in the way of boat building

weasel

Postby weasel » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:26 am

I checked out "World Panel" it looks like a good place, but I live in Minnesota hmmm. 1/4" plywood is 6mm opposed to 5mm. The weight issue is only a few pounds for the wood I assume. If you have a 200lb guy driving 1/8 inch plywood, or a 180lb guy driving 1/4" plywood, isn't it the same weight on/in the boat?

Dave Grason

Postby Dave Grason » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:53 am

Ok, Yeah...

But if you've got a 200 lbs guy driving a 1/4" plywood boat, he's not going to win the race. :shock:

But hey!! He'll still have fun! :lol:
Isn't it amazing!! The person that never has the fortitude to pursue his own dreams, will be the first to try and discourage you from pursuing yours.

Return to “Design Modifications”