Wider beam on Drifter?

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Nick

Wider beam on Drifter?

Postby Nick » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:18 pm

Just ramping up to build my first boat, have chosen the 18' Drifter. One thing I noted is that a 48" bottom is a little narrower than most modern drift boats. Can I get away with widening to 56", allowing more room for multiple front fisherman when steelheading and a more stable platform for casting flies?

Thanks!

hoodman

Re: Wider beam on Drifter?

Postby hoodman » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:10 pm

I would guess that that particular design is 4 feet wide due to the standard width of a sheet of Plywood. Although you might be able to modify the design to make it wider, I did find another design in the catalog with various length and width options (up to 55" wide). Just scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll see. If you decide to go that route I believe that Glen-l will exchange unused plans.
https://www.boatdesigns.com/mobile/prod ... p?dept=737

Nick

Postby Nick » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:53 pm

Yeah that's what I figured too. I checked out the Hankinson plans prior to going with Drifter, but what I am going for is something in the 18' x 60" range... and they are all shorter.

Really I am just curious what pitfalls I might encounter by tacking a foot onto the beam at the chine. For a flat bottom boat one would think that it should be pretty straightforward...

Thoughts anyone?
Thanks!

hoodman

Postby hoodman » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:16 pm

I'm not sure. For a planing hull or sailing hull increasing the beam can have unforseen performance consequences. But like you say, for a flat bottomed drift boat I bet you can get away with it. Have you tried calling Glen-l? You might be able to get an actual answer from Mr. Witt.

Nick

Postby Nick » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:09 pm

Totally on my agenda for tomorrow... I'll post any guidance I get on the topic. Thanks!

Return to “Design Modifications”