Tahoe-verniter

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

gap998

Tahoe-verniter

Postby gap998 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:50 pm

Ok, I know this is getting more than faintly ridiculous when I haven’t even started my Zip, but here is my proposal for what was originally (until I saw Thunderchick), to be my ultimate build.

My original inspiration for building was the Riva Tritone. The Glen-L Tahoe’s lines are pretty close, but it’s missing the under-bow accommodation that the Tritone has. So I’m proposing a sort of Tahoe based, scaled-up Overniter, increasing the freeboard at the bow as in the Overniter but with a gradual taper to the stern rather than the Overniter’s stepped deck (the same as I’m planning for boat#2 – see Super-Overniter thread).
Tahoe-verniter SBF3_4.jpg

While I love the acres of curved mahogany of the Tritone, I also like the practicality of the sun deck that replaced this on the later Aquarama. The proposed raised deck, together with the more compact engine I am proposing should allow this but I couldn’t decide which I preferred. A few years ago I did some design work for Aston Martin (gratuitous name drop) which gives an idea as to how I could achieve both – basically a hinge mechanism which would allow the engine cover to be lowered and used as the support for the sun deck (I haven’t worked the details yet but I know how it will w
ork.
Tahoe-verniter SBF3_4 Sundeck.jpg

With my barrel-back obsession, I will of course be taking the corners off the transom & aft frames.
Tahoe-verniter SBR3_4.jpg
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

gap998

Re: Tahoe-verniter

Postby gap998 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:54 pm

Close up cockpit shot for no other reason than I just learned to use the ‘decal’ and ‘emboss’ tools on the CAD system!
Tahoe-verniter Cockpit.jpg

Profile View
Tahoe-verniter SBSE.jpg

Ghost View
Tahoe-verniter SBSE Ghost.jpg
Gary

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

gap998

Postby gap998 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:58 pm

Proposed engine (motor?) is a 5Ltr (305ci) Supercharged Jaguar V8 – 500bhp in road form, but may be Jaguar V8 Diesel or a twin set of the Peugeot 2Ltr Diesel proposed for boat #2
Tahoe-verniter AJV8.jpg

Jag power would be nice because then I could put one of these on the bow.
Tahoe-verniter Bow Ornament.jpg

Accommodation
Tahoe-verniter Accomm1.jpg
Gary

gap998

Postby gap998 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:01 pm

Head
Tahoe-verniter Head.jpg

Cooker, Sink & Microwave Oven – I have an idea for a heat shield incorporated in the hinged cooker cover to protect the berth.
Tahoe-verniter Galley.jpg

You can’t have too many fridges! 2 x 17Ltr (3 ¾ Gal) Calduras should fit.
Tahoe-verniter Fridge.jpg
Gary

gap998

Postby gap998 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:03 pm

As it rains perpetually in the UK, and more than perpetually in Wales a vinyl or mohair bimini is a must…
Tahoe-verniter Bimini.jpg

…And side & rear screens would be a great addition for the British summer.
Tahoe-verniter Screens.jpg

Extending this over the rear deck would enable the sun deck to be used as an additional double berth.
Tahoe-verniter Rear Cover.jpg
Gary

Ol'Reg

Postby Ol'Reg » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:58 pm

This is amazing.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:56 pm

I definitely like it.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:56 pm

I WANT ONE!!
Attached are a couple of pictures from Lake Tahoe Concours D'Elegance boat show that resemble your great design.
Jim
Attachments
P8080034.JPG
20160812_104143.jpg
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

gap998

Postby gap998 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:15 pm

Thanks for the kind words. It's really just an extension & tweak of the original Tahoe lines to give space under the bow.

That's quite some collection of beautiful boats Jim! I saw a few classic Rivas whilst on holiday at Lake Garda last summer (you could even hire one), but they weren't in anywhere near as good condition as these! In some ways the Ariston (Bella Donna), is prettier than the Tritone (on it's right), and it's closer in size to the Tahoe, but I also want to use it on the UK canal network, so some accommodation is a must. I'm also going to need a multitude of fenders to stop me grinding all the varnish off in the locks!

It's a long way off yet, but you gotta have dreams.
Gary

ToddM

Postby ToddM » Wed May 10, 2017 11:06 am

Very cool. What software are you using?

TomB

Postby TomB » Wed May 10, 2017 12:26 pm

Gary, You might like the Susan C for a little additional inspiration. http://www.vandamboats.com/luxurious-38 ... rt-cruiser

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Thu May 11, 2017 2:39 am

Hi Gary.

Always good to see your design ideas! A suggestion based upon my own electronic design experimentation with the Overniter, though - look at vertical space under the foredeck. The Overniter has 3'. Yes, you can wriggle into that space and lie down on a berth but a toilet? Stove? Try putting a porta-potti under your dining table and then sitting on it...... :shock: That is pretty much what I did as a practical experiment and, believe me, it's not going to get used by people of average height. Not when moored and certainly not when moving around on the water. Cooking in such a confined space is going to be awkward too.

I'm not sure of the scale of your drawings so maybe everything's scaled up compared to the Overniter but even 3'6" from floor to underside of decking is not somewhere anyone's going to want to do anything that isn't horizontal! Lovely looking boat if you ignore the limitations of the interior accommodation, though :) I particularly like the 'sedan' roof suggestion (check out the Chris Craft Sedan for a solid version) and have considered that as being well suited to the British weather but it imposes headroom limitations of its own.

Keep them coming!

Ian

gap998

Postby gap998 » Sun May 14, 2017 4:00 pm

:lol: I had to laugh Ian - I did exactly the same when I was designing my Super-Overniter! (except it was a 32cm wooden box to simulate a Portaloo!). I have a 3D computer mannequin which I used to check ergonomics, but there's no substitute for experience!

A standard Tahoe would be way too low, but I have considerably increased the freeboard especially at the bow to accommodate the cuddy, so there's a lot more height than the Overniter. Also I'm only 5'6" & my wife is just 5' so it'd be a veritable cavern for us! :lol:

Thanks for the heads-up though ...or heads-down in this case! :lol:
Gary

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Mon May 15, 2017 10:02 am

So how long is the boat in your rendering? It must be closer to 30' than to 20' to get the proportions right with that much space (height) in the bow.

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Mon May 15, 2017 11:05 am

I'm struggling with this very same thing on my Vera Cruise. Top of berth to bottom of deck is less than 3 feet. In the main cabin, even if I were going with the original lower floor in the center, would have left me short by at least 6 inches. There's definitely a reason why cruisers typically have boxy cabins! :D

One thing to keep in mind with your renderings is that a certain amount of the lower hull space is going to be taken up with frames and structure.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Return to “Design Modifications”