General design question about sailboat decks

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

jbwood

General design question about sailboat decks

Post by jbwood » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:48 am

Hello,

I'm pretty new to the realm of boats, so I happen to have a bunch of dumb questions about design and I'm happy to share this one with you. :D

In all the movies (yeah yeah, remember I'm new) with sailboats (often pirate and military), there's a cabin in the back and a big outside open area in the front and midship. On the sailboats I see in pictures and real life, there's an itty-bitty outside area in the back of the boat and most of the deck is taken up by a row of windows covered with a roof. To get to the front, though I see little point in doing so because of the lack of room in the front, you have these itty-bitty walkways on the side. When I went on a boat myself and had to walk around the boat (it was in drydock) I felt like I was about to fall off.

That doesn't seem like a nice way to spend my day outside on a boat, being crammed into a tiny area where you can only sit. There's not even enough room (from what I can tell) to have a small picnic table. I wonder, "What's the point?" but my question is, "Why can't boats have a bigger open area on the outside so you can actually have room to move about and enjoy the outside?"

- Jeffery
Jeffery

garrech

Re: General design question about sailboat decks

Post by garrech » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:06 am

Welcome. I'm no design expert but here are my thoughts. The pirate ships you see in the movies are quite large. They have multiple decks, or floors, and are very tall. Most sailboats we are around are much smaller and only have one "floor". The part that sticks up into the deck that you have to walk around gives you more headroom below deck. In order for the deck to have open space as you describe, the deck would have to be raised and the boat would have to be much taller which would create other design problems to keep it upright since it would be top heavy. And it wouldn't be as pleasant to look at. Just my thoughts.

jbwood

Post by jbwood » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:35 pm

I guess that makes sense.
Jeffery

vupilot

Post by vupilot » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:19 am

It kinda sounds like a Launch is more your style.

jbwood

Post by jbwood » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:38 pm

A launch? I'll have to Google that. I'm having trouble keeping all the different types of boats straight.
Jeffery

Return to “Design Modifications”