Dual cockpit at shorter length - Ski-King vs. Barrelback

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

jaykal

Dual cockpit at shorter length - Ski-King vs. Barrelback

Postby jaykal » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:11 pm

Hi all - I don't know an easy why to preface this, so I'll just get into it.
  • I enjoy the dual front cockpit layout and overall design style of the Barrelback, but....
  • I prefer the size and the "simpler" build of the Ski-King.
Understanding design modifications are their own animal and that I'm far from a boat designer, Does anyone have a thought on any options to get a dual front cockpit like the Barrelback style, but in the 16/17/18 foot range? Based on a couple comments I had read, it almost seems like shortening the Barrelback down from 19' could result in a few challenges in the engine compartment area. (Also I prefer the pure plywood hull at this point I believe, and shortening the design doesn't solve that problem.)

As far as the Ski-King goes, I don't know if stretching it a foot forward would allow enough balance to shift the rear cockpit in front of the motor. I don't hate the design, but would love a 17' Barrelback. :)

At the end of the day I'll be happy with either style, just thinking that this is going to be a cruiser more than anything, so having all 4 people (when we have guests) to be within earshot might be a fun way to go. This is why we plan and ask questions, right?

Thanks for reading, and advice!
Jay

rbrandenstein

Re: Dual cockpit at shorter length - Ski-King vs. Barrelback

Postby rbrandenstein » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:57 am

I also liked the dual cockpit look and put it in my Malahini.
It was easier to do since this is an outboard design and there is no engine in the way.
I just don't see how you would have the room in the Ski King to do what you want. Even with some stretch, I think the engine is in the way. On the Barrelback 19 it is recommended to stretch to 20' to get a more modern engine to fit.

jaykal

Re: Dual cockpit at shorter length - Ski-King vs. Barrelback

Postby jaykal » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:03 am

Makes sense, always hoping for some secret magic bullet :)

Return to “Design Modifications”