What is this???

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Jklein

What is this???

Post by Jklein » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:55 am

Can someone tell me what this boat is, it may be a modification? The caption calls out a 1958 Ariston Riva but if you look at the engine hatch it seems to be located almost completely aft.

http://www.marineclassics.co.uk/boat34.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Re: What is this???

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:40 am

Yes, I believe that is a Riva. It is much wider at the stern than any of the Glen-L mahoganies. That allows the engine to be moved back.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

kens

Post by kens » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:45 am

Vee-drive ??
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:20 am

Ken

Probably Vee-Drive.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

gap998

Post by gap998 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:20 pm

Definitely not an Ariston, and it doesn't look like any Riva I've seen - Maybe a special inspired by the Ariston.
Ariston Rear 3_4.jpg
There's an Italian company called Comitti that does similar styled boats with I/O drive with a barrel overhang over the out-drive.
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:24 pm

Gary,

I yield to you. All the Rivas, that I've seen pictures of, seem to be twin engine/screw and much larger. The first picture, it looks maybe 7 meters. There doesn't looked to be enough room for an I/O and a false transom. Your picture looks like it might be a little less than 8 meters with a straight shaft drive. Both are good looking boats.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Jklein

Post by Jklein » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:10 pm

gap998

Post by gap998 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:04 am

Jklein wins! :lol: Ooh, It's British; haven't seen this company before, how embarrassing! :lol:

Bill was right about the I/O and has a good eye for length too! The Ariston is very much like the Tahoe - 21' (6.5M) & 23' (7M) Lengths it's basically a small Tritone with a single Motor/Screw. I saw one on Lake Garda whilst on holiday a couple of weeks ago, that's why I was certain the Classic wasn't it.

Some interesting stuff (and prices!) from Marine Classics though, love the Slipper launch shape. They often have small outboards hidden under the sloping stern, but I think these have front mounted motors a la Gentry
Gary

Planning a whole fleet, but starting with a Zip...I think.

"Just when you think you've made something idiot-proof, someone builds a better idiot!"

Return to “Design Modifications”