Modification of True Grit

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

JiminTex

Modification of True Grit

Postby JiminTex » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:12 am

I am considering building the True Grit sedan model, But studying the plans the shower and head are too short, Is it reasonable to add height to the Deck house and cabin on the sedan model in order to increase the height of the shower and the Head and width.... and also for a marine A/C unit on top.

Bill Edmundson

Re: Modification of True Grit

Postby Bill Edmundson » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:30 am

Jim

Above the waterline, you can do most anything that you want to do. Try to maintain the center of gravity as much as possible.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

JiminTex

Postby JiminTex » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:35 am

I will keep that in mind, it is tough being the shortest in my family at 6'2" my brother is 6' 5" my Uncle is 6' 10" lol :D

curtgard

Postby curtgard » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:34 am

Jim

Check out the pictures of my True Grit. I added an A/C unit to the salon roof on my boat. I did reduce the roof chamber from 4" to 2" so the unit would seal better on the roof. I have about 6'4" of interior head room at aft part of the salon with the head room increasing as you go forward. The cabin side walls are 4'x8' plywood sheets but you could add some height to the walls to give you more head room but I would be careful to not add to much add'l height as wind moves the boat around.

Curt

mrintense

Postby mrintense » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:18 pm

Another thing is keep in mind that it is going to be some time before you actually get to the point of putting the cabin on. By the time you get to that point you'll know what you can and cannot do and you'll have the whole thing designed in your head!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

raymacke

Postby raymacke » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:06 pm

As per plans the head space for the shower shouldn't be a problem as it is between the head closet and the hanging closet. There is no cover of any type there so the head room is about 8'. The head closet is limited. Mine has a raised platform of about 4" to allow a flat space for the head to mount. Above that there in 60" of head height. No not a lot BUT I have a composting head and you do not stand to pee. ALL business is done sitting. And from the top of the seat of the somewhat tall head is still 41" which for most would be adequate clearance. Even if I didn't have a composting head I would require sitting. I am the one that cleans the head and I have NEVER seen a guy that hits the target 100% of the time - including me. I don't want to be the one to mop up the mess! So it is sit of walk back to the swim platform. :D

My under roof head clearance is fairly close to plans and it is about 77 1/2" to 78" down the center of the saloon where you normally walk. The top could be raised but I wouldn't want to get to carried away as it places more weight high which can effect the rolling action. Also, a roof top AC will add another 90 to 100 pounds high so you can see these things tend to multiply.
So Many Rivers,
So Little Time....

Return to “Design Modifications”