Seat modifications for neck problems

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

Zapped

Seat modifications for neck problems

Postby Zapped » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:39 pm

I have a few pinched nerves in the C7 and C6 areas of my spine thanks to a few years of boxing, poor office chairs, and building furniture. I'm planning to build the Malahini and the seats look a little low for my neck.

Does anyone else have back and neck problems and did you modify the seats so that you had more support or did you purchase 2 chairs for the front? If you purchased them, where did you get them?
If you modified the seats, what did you do and do you have a picture?

I plan on building the back row per the plans and adding folding seats on the side so that it creates a U shape in the back for lounging. Even if I buy chairs for the front, I can match whatever the design is so I won't have to worry about anything being mismatched. As much as I'd like to not stray from the plans, my neck is the boss!
Planning to build the Malahini

irie E

Re: Seat modifications for neck problems

Postby irie E » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:25 pm

While not a modification to the seat, these might save you some pain. http://shockwaveseats.com/product/s5-pro/

They aren't cheap but something similar could be built at home.

Zapped

Postby Zapped » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:43 pm

You're right - those are not cheap. Definitely out of my budget now. With a little engineering and imagination, I just might be able to figure something out...

Thanks!

Nova SS

Postby Nova SS » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:13 pm

So it is the back of the seat that is too low? I wouldn't think it would be too hard to modify the seat plans to make the seat back taller. If you are looking for buckets instead of a bench there are plans online for making your own buckets seats that again I'm sure you could modify to suit your needs. Here is an example of home made bucket seats, This is from a free set of boat plans I found online.

bucketSeatPlans.jpeg

Zapped

Postby Zapped » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:44 pm

Yes, my father in law's boat has low seats (regular pontoon seats) and I always end up in pain from the seats.

Those are nice looking seats! Thanks for the pic. I could definitely build those on the cheap. I could even make a slot for my ponytail to slip through if I make them high enough.

Nova SS

Postby Nova SS » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:02 am

Those plans should be easily modifiable. I'm not so sure about some of the material thickness's they call for on it though. 1/4" thick legs seem a little on the thin side as well as the 1/8" thick back material. Possibly the back is that thin to make it bend properly. If that is the case I'd definitely be doubling that up by laminating another layer on it. I did notice they did add a seat back support in the one picture though.

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:25 am

I made my helm with 2 layers of 1/8" ply. It was my own design. But, about the same.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jenko

Postby jenko » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:08 am

I used that plan and laid the seat back a few degrees used two layers of 1/4'' bendy ply and mounted it on a swivel base wth seat adjustment :)

Return to “Design Modifications”