Modify bow on jet cat/aqua cat?

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

irie E

Modify bow on jet cat/aqua cat?

Post by irie E » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:49 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if the bow of a jet cat or aqua cat could be modified to look something like this...
tideline001.jpg
I've not put much thought into it yet but at a quick glance I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. Thanks for any feedback.

hoodman

Re: Modify bow on jet cat/aqua cat?

Post by hoodman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:44 am

It looks simple enough but it could cause a lot of issues. You would have to make sure that the bows are still making conic sections so that it would be possible to build in plywood.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

NAMEngJS

Post by NAMEngJS » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:22 am

My qualifying question would be what exactly is the change you are looking to accomplish?
-The upward flare of the sheer that starts around midships?
I think this could be done with care, it may or not be as simple as extending the line of each frame up a few inches. the sheer line should be a fair curve and in doing this you may have to spend extra time to ensure a fair surface.

-The more vertical stems on each of the demi-hulls?
again along the same lines a before, it can be done but this change will have major effects on the frames of each demi hull you will not have a faired hull maintaining the frames as it and changing the stem. I would not take this step lightly unless you have access to hull fairing programs and have some understanding of B-spline and NURBs surfaces.

-The slight chine line on demi-hull?
see above answer

-The area connecting the demi-hulls at CL appears to be have a steeper gradient from the forepeak to its maximum depth (or if that is just a trick from the quarter view perspective)
This is probably an easier modification. maintaining a fair curve that is not to tight that you can not bend the ply around it and I dont see what that is not possible.

-All of the above?

- some other modification I did not mention?

While i qualify all the modifications are possible, but the modifications to the demi-hulls are by far the most sensitive ones in that you may open more questions than answers as you go along.
-Juan Suarez

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds, wake to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers by day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

irie E

Post by irie E » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:37 am

Thanks for chiming in guys and I apologize for the rather vague question. I was just looking at the flare from midship forward and raising the bow a bit. In my new location I have access to the intracoastal waterway and the Atlantic ocean. I was thinking the flare would probably help keep the boat drier when venturing out for inshore fishing. Maybe these boats aren't suitable for what I want to do, the jet cat seems suitable for the intracoastal and maybe the Atlantic on those super calm days. I bought the jet cat plans for a different waterway but since I had them I figured I could work with those to see if this was possible.

NAMEngJS

Post by NAMEngJS » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:31 am

Catamarans are quite stable and I would think that you would be able to take her out there (maybe not sin sea state 4 :lol: ) Again I think the flare is quite possible. The further offset from the original lines you go the more care you will have to take to maintain faired lines.
-Juan Suarez

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds, wake to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers by day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

irie E

Post by irie E » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:07 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to try my hand at drawing up the changes I am after and see how that turns out.

Return to “Design Modifications”