Modify bow on jet cat/aqua cat?

Questions about modifying a design

Moderators: ttownshaw, billy c

irie E

Modify bow on jet cat/aqua cat?

Postby irie E » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:49 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if the bow of a jet cat or aqua cat could be modified to look something like this...
tideline001.jpg

I've not put much thought into it yet but at a quick glance I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. Thanks for any feedback.

hoodman

Re: Modify bow on jet cat/aqua cat?

Postby hoodman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:44 am

It looks simple enough but it could cause a lot of issues. You would have to make sure that the bows are still making conic sections so that it would be possible to build in plywood.

NAMEngJS

Postby NAMEngJS » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:22 am

My qualifying question would be what exactly is the change you are looking to accomplish?
-The upward flare of the sheer that starts around midships?
I think this could be done with care, it may or not be as simple as extending the line of each frame up a few inches. the sheer line should be a fair curve and in doing this you may have to spend extra time to ensure a fair surface.

-The more vertical stems on each of the demi-hulls?
again along the same lines a before, it can be done but this change will have major effects on the frames of each demi hull you will not have a faired hull maintaining the frames as it and changing the stem. I would not take this step lightly unless you have access to hull fairing programs and have some understanding of B-spline and NURBs surfaces.

-The slight chine line on demi-hull?
see above answer

-The area connecting the demi-hulls at CL appears to be have a steeper gradient from the forepeak to its maximum depth (or if that is just a trick from the quarter view perspective)
This is probably an easier modification. maintaining a fair curve that is not to tight that you can not bend the ply around it and I dont see what that is not possible.

-All of the above?

- some other modification I did not mention?

While i qualify all the modifications are possible, but the modifications to the demi-hulls are by far the most sensitive ones in that you may open more questions than answers as you go along.
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds, wake to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers by day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

irie E

Postby irie E » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:37 am

Thanks for chiming in guys and I apologize for the rather vague question. I was just looking at the flare from midship forward and raising the bow a bit. In my new location I have access to the intracoastal waterway and the Atlantic ocean. I was thinking the flare would probably help keep the boat drier when venturing out for inshore fishing. Maybe these boats aren't suitable for what I want to do, the jet cat seems suitable for the intracoastal and maybe the Atlantic on those super calm days. I bought the jet cat plans for a different waterway but since I had them I figured I could work with those to see if this was possible.

NAMEngJS

Postby NAMEngJS » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:31 am

Catamarans are quite stable and I would think that you would be able to take her out there (maybe not sin sea state 4 :lol: ) Again I think the flare is quite possible. The further offset from the original lines you go the more care you will have to take to maintain faired lines.
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds, wake to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers by day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

irie E

Postby irie E » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:07 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to try my hand at drawing up the changes I am after and see how that turns out.

Return to “Design Modifications”